ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternative to filehamster?

<< < (17/25) > >>

40hz:
@mouser - I've heard that same complaint in some other places as well.

Thanks for confirming it's not just talk.  :(

tomos:
It was supposed to be monitoring a set of files, and all the settings seem to show it is, but its randomly ignoring files that changed, grabbing changes sometimes.. ignoring some files revisioning others, etc.
-mouser (July 06, 2011, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

mouser, what filetype/app was it that had the problems? Generally support for problems is good at their forums.

With file hamster, I always get it to show notification "bubble" (default setting) - that way if there is a problem I would normally notice - it doesnt show if no backup is made.

FH had problems here with an app that saves to "temp0" first and then saves the final file (sometimes it backed it up, sometimes not). There are 'delay' settings you can change that could help, but best ask the developers.

I also had a problem lately where a "Library"/backup just didnt work at all - I find it a total PIA to check the settings (my brain doesnt function with "true" or "false"), so I ended up creating a new backup and copying my backup files over. None of which was very user friendly. Overall though, for the amount I use it (every work day, for a few years now) I'm reasonably happy with it.

mouser:
It was a php file, edited in normal text editor.  the settings were set to keep infinite revisions, and make new revisions every 5 seconds.  It seems random to me why it missed revisioning the file.  I turned off the popup messages after a week of using the program as they became too distracting.

FileHamster seems to do a pretty good job when it does its job right.. The problem is i simply cannot afford to roll the dice and have a 25% chance that the file i counted on it revisioning was simply skipped for random reasons..

tomos:
FileHamster seems to do a pretty good job when it does its job right.. The problem is i simply cannot afford to roll the dice and have a 25% chance that the file i counted on it revisioning was simply skipped for random reasons..
-mouser (July 07, 2011, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

agreed

mouser:
This actually raises a really good idea for a feature that FileHamster could add that would be extremely useful.

A report you could generate which showed a list/table of files whose latest copies had not been revisioned.

This would be extremely helpful in diagnosing these kinds of issues, and doing a sanity check to make sure your files are being backed up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version