ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternative to filehamster?

<< < (2/25) > >>

tranglos:
Do you have pointer to the AJC forum?  It doesn't appear to have a link from their website.
-mwb1100 (September 07, 2009, 09:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're right, there is no forum! Sorry about he confusion. I remembered reading that comment on a board - that board was Bits du Jour comment section:
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/ajc-active-backup/#comments

The author's response is Aug 21 2009 5:47am

elpresi:
I have not used it, but AFAIK Docshield is similar and free for non-comercial use:
http://www.docshield.com/

Carol Haynes:
DocShield requires Microsoft .NET framework version 2.0 running under any Windows operating systems capable of running the .NET framework  This includes Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows NT.
--- End quote ---

mwang:
Genie-Soft (the company behind Genie-Soft Backup Manager) has a new product called Genie Timeline.

The most interesting part is its tiered backup scheme. It makes a backup every half hour, then it "saves the hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older than a month." (quoted directly from its user manual.)

It's something I've always wanted, and has been available to Mac users for a long time with the famed Time Machine. In fact, I believe Genie-Soft got its idea from Apple, with the similarity in names and the feature comparison table between the two products on their web site.

I downloaded the trial version yesterday and tried it briefly. It worked as promised, and wasn't taxing the system too much (didn't slow down my computer during the few hours of trial). It's designed to be easy to set up at the expense of flexibility, however, which bothered me a lot, so I uninstalled it after a few hours. They have a page comparing Genie Timeline to Backup Manager Pro, which should give you an idea of its strength and weakness. The user manual (pdf) can also be downloaded.

I now have my own tiered backup scheme, using SFFS, DOpus, Powerpro and batch files. If you don't need a "tiered" system (I believe FH doesn't have one), just need something that sits in the background and back up frequently and quietly, then SFFS, SyncbackPro, MirrorFolder and some others should do it, though each with its own strength and weakness. But I think you know them all, since they've been mentioned many times here.

mwang:
I tried everything mentioned above, but didn't keep any of them. FWIW, here are some terse comments from my notebook:

AJC Active Backup 1.5.10 (decent, with two tiers, but I want more tiers and better looking interface)
CascadePoint 2.10 Build 29 (need to set up file types)
DocShield v.2.0.2 (no wildcard support for folder exclusion)
MirrorFolder 4.1.192 (can't preview what's included and what's not. not flexible in file/folder exclusion)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version