ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech News Weekly: Edition 36-09

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
jgpaiva: I think it's pretty impossible. Who'd keep the service up to date? Eóin already mentioned security. The Windows ecosystem is vastly bigger than the opensource one, good luck getting everybody to join the program. Then there's the issue of how the updates are done, and where they're stored (3rd party servers? Super good idea for security (not!), central at MS servers? Wow, major capacity required, etc). Everybody would have to move to a unified installer type (yeah, that's so going to happen), et cetera :)

Edvard:
#6: Finally a REALLY good excuse to END my facebook account.

#8: Oscar. Metro. Golf.
At first I was like
And then I was like

Ehtyar:
Ehtyar: In my opinion, this shouldn't be the solution.
I continue to think that an update manager integrated in windows would make sooo much more sense.
I know I love it in linux, it's keeping me from using windows anymore, and I've always been a windows fan.
-jgpaiva (September 09, 2009, 08:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
So why aren't your poarent using Linux? I presume because Linux package management is not quite as a simple and easy to use as it sounds...

Perhaps if developers could add their owns applications to the Microsoft Update infrastructure already there? But then who would take on the burden of managing it, especially from the point of security.
-Eóin (September 09, 2009, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
Precisely...

#8: Oscar. Metro. Golf.
At first I was like
And then I was like
-Edvard (September 09, 2009, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
@ your post, first I was like WTF?, then I was like

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
#6: Finally a REALLY good excuse to END my facebook account.-Edvard (September 09, 2009, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just set reasonable privacy settings, limit the information you share, and don't install crap apps? Problem solved :)

Edvard:
#6: Finally a REALLY good excuse to END my facebook account.-Edvard (September 09, 2009, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just set reasonable privacy settings, limit the information you share, and don't install crap apps? Problem solved :)
-f0dder (September 09, 2009, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Trust me. I'm VERY conservative with my privacy settings, don't even have a picture of myself as my profile photo and I don't use ANY apps.
I'm talking about old friends from high school I added who have more time on their hands than I do as well as polar-opposite political views and social habits constantly posting crap, spamming up my profile view.  :-\
Why is it folks I actually WANT to hear from never post? :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version