ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (17/30) > >>

Eóin:
Actually I downloaded the font, that only happens at the smaller sizes. So I suspect it's a bug, possibly the font is only really intended for print.

MilesAhead:
it's user-selectable if you like it or not. For some reason Miles does.

select if you like it...:
 (see attachment in previous post)
I don't. How can you possibly LIKE this, Miles???!  :P
-Curt (May 13, 2010, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's very smooth.
Just look through the list of fonts Windows puts on your machine by default, click them in an editor, and add up how many you can't even read.  I bet it's at least half.

edit: one thing I do like about it, for readme files and that type of stuff, you can read it clearly without making it so large the editor window has to take up 80% of the screen.  It's less likely to kick in word wrap if it's enabled in an editor.

MilesAhead:
afa the 'c' and 'e' if you look closely you can see the hint of a crossbar.  But yeah your mind would probably go from context to figure what what it should be.  I'd feel better if it was fixed.  But I think it's worth fixing.. unlike a lot of stuff in my fonts folder.

daddydave:
And recently, messing around with an Autoit3 script in SCite, I was struck by how much easier the proportional fonts are to read than the monospaced ones are at similar sizes (trying both Consolas and Dina).
-daddydave (May 12, 2010, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing I noticed about the SciTEforAutoit3 defaults is that they use an awful lot of boldface and italic. Turned all that off, and Dina looks 100% better and I think I'll stick with it for a while.

MilesAhead:
I tried the Dina ttf.  Seemed very hard to read.  For now I went back to default courier new. Just for chuckles I tried the Book font.  Really weird to look at code with a handwriting style font.

Semi-off topic but since you mention Scite, one thing that drives me nuts is editors that make it difficult to find navigation keys in the help.  So many now it's trial and error how to delete a line other than selecting and deleting.  Seems like if the programmer comes from Delphi it's Control-Y but if he's grounded in MS languages it's Control-L.  Just seems like the last thing documented, if at all, is the actual hotkeys to use the thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version