ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (6/30) > >>

40hz:
I always thought Arial was a fairly straight rip-off of Helvetica,
but I see Wikipedia agrees with you:-
-tomos (September 06, 2009, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear that. ;D

There's a lot of things I'm not too knowledgeable about. But one thing I actually do know something about is type.

icekin:
Since Recently: Tahoma 12 everywhere, including the OS, Coding, Applications etc. I use MS Word in Calibri, since that is the default there in Office 2007.

Until Recently: Arial on the OS everywhere and Times New Roman (TNR) on word. I still use TNR for resumes and such.

CWuestefeld:
Just bumped into this in HackerNews:
Fonts for web design: a primer
...Modern CSS provides web designers with an unprecedented level of control over online typography. Restrictions are still imposed however by the limited number of “common” fonts—those typefaces that are generally available cross-platform. This article looks at the fonts web designers have available to them, and also considers their suitability for various tasks.

Along with exploring Microsoft’s “Core fonts for the Web” pack, which includes the most common online fonts, the article also looks at more recent typefaces that can work well online, along with briefly noting the new screen fonts created for Vista.
--- End quote ---
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/fonts-for-web-design-a-primer/

zridling:
The next step is to embed fonts in browser code. I think between Java and HTML5, this can be done. I've no idea how, though!

f0dder:
The next step is to embed fonts in browser code. I think between Java and HTML5, this can be done. I've no idea how, though!-zridling (September 07, 2009, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Please, don't.

Rely on the fonts you know will exist on normal systems, and keep fancy fonts for publishing. There's already enough presentation-over-content faggery going on with flash >_<

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version