ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (16/30) > >>

Eóin:
It's because like Python, F# uses indentation to control scope.

To be honest though, I'd take curly brackets over the alternatives any day

f0dder:
Eóin: how on earth can you live with a variable width font for coding? BLASPHEMER! Hell, for coding, anything else than Dina is blasphemy in my eyes.
-f0dder (September 05, 2009, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Funny you should say that. I always thought so, but now I wonder if that's just a habit learned from the days of 80 column screens. And recently, messing around with an Autoit3 script in SCite, I was struck by how much easier the proportional fonts are to read than the monospaced ones are at similar sizes (trying both Consolas and Dina).-daddydave (May 12, 2010, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
I personally find monospaced fonts a lot easier to read when dealing with code - can't put my finger on what exactly makes it that way, but it's not exclusively being able to line things up.

To be honest though, I'd take curly brackets over the alternatives any day-Eóin (May 12, 2010, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Indeed - it's amazing that people designing languages these days make such fscked up decisions as using indentation (and specific indentation requirements) to control scope O_o

40hz:
I personally find monospaced fonts a lot easier to read when dealing with code - can't put my finger on what exactly makes it that way, but it's not exclusively being able to line things up.
-f0dder (May 12, 2010, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny. I always thought that too. (It's definitely not just about lining things up.)

I used to suspect it was from coding "to card" and (later on) to either a CRT terminal or a standardized input form. But there's lots of people who (mercifully) never had to deal with that nonsense that have said much the same thing.

Maybe it's some sort of gestalt or perceptual psych thing where:

monospace font = machine code and

proportional font = human language?

Dunno... :tellme:

Interestingly enough, many editors will tell you that a lot more typos get caught when a manuscript uses a monospaced font like Courier than they do when it uses a proportional font like Times.

Apparently there's something going on that your brain mentally fills in, glosses over, or corrects more when it's reading proportional fonts.

40hz:
It's user selectable.  I like it.  Others may not.

-MilesAhead (May 11, 2010, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead - how does that work?

I'm looking at the font and I don't see the lowercase-e minus the crossbar character.

(And how are you selecting it? A user-selectable character within a font? That's a new one for me.)

:)

Curt:
it's user-selectable if you like it or not. For some reason Miles does.

select if you like it...:

I don't. How can you possibly LIKE this, Miles???!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version