ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (29/30) > >>

40hz:
Bitstream hosts a very informative website for people interested in type.

It was recently redesigned, and IMHO is better than ever.

Link here:    http://new.myfonts.com

They also do a great monthly newsletter where they interview a type designer each issue. Good source for insights into the artistic and technical design process of type. Very well written so it's  also a "good read."

You can view current and back issues at the website, or subscibe and have it come to your mailbox. This is one of the very few newsletters I do subscribe to.

Recommended.  8)

tomos:
This is pretty scary youtube video in lots of ways - but I found it very funny too - and I like the font :p

What is your preferred font?

Neutraface

via Fast Company

MilesAhead:
I finally found a good use for the RayGun font. It looks good as idx/sub subtitles made by AviAddXSubs.  After experimentation I found out that my WD HD TV for USB set top box will show the subtitle border if YUV option is checked on Configuration 2 page.

Unfortunately I have 1st gen WD player and it does not display colors for external idx/sub subtitles.  But at least this scheme stands out even over a white background. With YUV option checked it shows a funky color on the PC which deterred me from trying the setting earlier.  But on the WD box it looks like the standard white characters with black border.

I think the RayGun font looks much better than Tahoma or Ariel for subs. It doesn't have the puffy periphery I dislike.

superboyac:
I finally found a good use for the RayGun font. It looks good as idx/sub subtitles made by AviAddXSubs.  After experimentation I found out that my WD HD TV for USB set top box will show the subtitle border if YUV option is checked on Configuration 2 page.

Unfortunately I have 1st gen WD player and it does not display colors for external idx/sub subtitles.  But at least this scheme stands out even over a white background. With YUV option checked it shows a funky color on the PC which deterred me from trying the setting earlier.  But on the WD box it looks like the standard white characters with black border.

I think the RayGun font looks much better than Tahoma or Ariel for subs. It doesn't have the puffy periphery I dislike.

-MilesAhead (February 27, 2011, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can you show a screenshot?  It sounds cool!

MilesAhead:
Here's how it looks in the preview, but on the WD player it looks a bit different. I little more angular probably because the anti-alias isn't as good as on the PC.

edit: I also just ran across a mono-spaced font, Crystal, that may be better for subs. I'll have to experiment with it for a bit.

You can get Crystal free here:

http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Crystal.htm

edit2: RayGun is available at urban fonts and Softpedia. I ran md5 and RayGun downloads from both locations are exactly the same files.

edit3: here's a preview with the Crystal mono font:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version