ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (25/30) > >>

40hz:
I think gdipp initially screws up some stuff on your computer.  there's a lot of flickering, errors, weird problems.  But then they go away.  Almost like it's rendering for the first time, and once it does it, things are ok.
-superboyac (May 28, 2010, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suspect that's probably caused by some sort of initial background font rendering and caching of all the fonts on your machine.  Once the metrics and outlines got cached the problem would go away if that is the case.

Man, I gotta get this little ogre up on something so I can check it out!  

40hz:
OK it's installed (XP-SP3), and as others have already noted, there are some subtle but big differences in text appearance. Looks like they optimized letter appearance at the expense of spacing whenever push came to shove.

Kerning is a little dodgy at times. Primarily in web browsers  (FF and IE).

But for everything else I'm looking at, I think I like gdipp's rendering more.

Verdana's lowercase M likes to 'crash' into most following characters, but it doesn't pose a problem for reading purposes.

Text rendering, like most things, is a series of trade-offs. I guess it all comes down to what looks best to you.

8)

mwb1100:
[hint] It would be interesting to see what that page looks like in other peoples' browser [/hint]
Wold you people care to take a similar screenshot and upload it, please?
:tellme:
-Curt (May 28, 2010, 05:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is on a Vista laptop with ClearType enabled:

Though I can't say it's the nicest font, the rendering looks fine to me...

Curt:
mwb1100; your's are fine.
But what font do you have for default in that browser?

tomos:
mwb1100; your's are fine.
But what font do you have for default in that browser?
-Curt (May 29, 2010, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I dont think the default font makes any difference with that site - maybe I thought the font in your screenshot was different to mine because the kerning is so bad on yours: it makes the font look a lot narrower

zoomed in a little on your screenshot:

definitely something odd going on there - was it after you installed that gdippy thingy for the type?

I see 40hz says:
Kerning is a little dodgy at times. Primarily in web browsers  (FF and IE). -40hz (May 29, 2010, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Curt's screenshot is more than a *little* dodgy though imo...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version