ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

<< < (11/57) > >>

skwire:
What a fantastic app, skwire!  thanks for coding this! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: 8)
-techidave (September 28, 2009, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're welcome.   :)

skwire, I followed your instructions and now I'm in business.  Awewsome app! :Thmbsup:
-jdd (September 28, 2009, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, great to hear.  So, what was the issue?

jdd:
I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong the first time but I saved the zip file to my desktop.  Then I opened the zip file and ran the executable without extracting it to a folder. 

skwire:
This is a great idea for a program.  Thanks paarkhi and skwire!  I tried this last night, but nothing showed up in my context menu.  I figured when I rebooted in the morning it'd show up.  I did find the 'Files 2 Folder' entry, but ONLY in the Quick Launch items context menus!  The files on my Desktop didn't have the entry, and trying the context menu with an open Explorer didn't help.-mateek (September 28, 2009, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm...odd.  Are you selecting folders in there as well?  If so, the Files 2 Folder entry won't show up.  It should only show if you have one or more files selected.

At this point I'd like to ask what might prove to make me look stupid, but where are the hidden settings?  I've used a lot of stuff I haven't been shy messing with as far as settings, like Rainlender, Sumarize, etc.  I tried opening Files2Folder.exe in ResHacker, but didn't see them there.  I didn't see a folder in 'Application Data.'  I thought maybe I had to point to the desktop or something, although that really doesn't make any sense.-mateek (September 28, 2009, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are a few hidden settings that you can set up by creating a config.ini file in the same folder as the Files 2 Folder executable.  Here's a sample:

--- ---[Settings]
Replace_Chars=1
Chars_To_Replace=-_
Remove_Chars=1
Chars_To_Remove=!@#$%^&(){}[]

Does that help?

I should add my context menus are a bit jazzed up.  I use MMM+, and Folder Guide.  Would that interfere with the registration process?  Also, I hadn't quite read down here far enough to figure out I should've answered Yes when the initial prompt to register appeared.  I said No on the first run, and when I realized my mistake went back and said Yes on the second run.  Like I said, the entry did appear after in one context menu, just not everywhere.
Anyone have any ideas?
-mateek (September 28, 2009, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't use MMM+ or Folder Guide so I don't know if those are messing with things.  I don't think they'd interfere with the registration process which is, basically, just writing a few registry values.

skwire:
I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong the first time but I saved the zip file to my desktop.  Then I opened the zip file and ran the executable without extracting it to a folder. 
-jdd (September 28, 2009, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right, when the app registers the menu entry, it uses the current path.  So, if you move Files2Folder.exe, the entry will still be there in the menu but no functionality will take place.  You must unregister it and then re-register it from its new location (exactly as you did).  Good job.  :D

mateek:
jdd thanks, but I never moved the extracted folder after I unzipped and ran the .exe.  There's something else happening with my system, because I was going to be cautious and un-register and unzip somewhere else, as you'd advised.   I did, and when I went to delete the original folder, I got an error 'in use' message.  Then I checked my Task Manager, and Folder2File.exe was running, so I forced it to End, and I still couldn't delete the folder.  Then I went to my Boot Deleter. and went to integrate that into my shell, and that wouldn't integrate anywhere but in my Start Menu's context.  I'm running XP SP3, and the reboot is a solid 12-14 mins or more, so I do it once day unless something goes haywire.  I think I've seen this behavior in this comp before, and it did clear up with a reboot, but I can't get to that for awhile.  I'll keep you posted.

skwire, I wasn't selecting any folders.  Just file(s).  Ahh, create a config.ini...I haven't done that before, yep that helps.  Similar to AHK...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version