ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DIY Projector Project - Pre-Pre-Planning stage

(1/2) > >>

Hirudin:
I was wondering, have any of you made a "do it yourself" projector?

I stumbled appon a pdf with instruction to make one. It seems like it would be pretty easy (as long as I took the time to make everything accurately). More or less what you do is build a box with a bulb in it, get a LCD monitor, take it apart, and stick it inside. Then you need a couple sheet lenses that make the light from the bulb pass straight through the LCD and back into another lens that projects the image onto your screen.

Long story short you can build a 1024x768 projector for around $400 (based on a 15" monitor), or if you want to use a larger monitor and get up to hi-def.

I think this would be an awesome project, the main problem is the website that distributes the PDF is very concerned that you purchase a membership to their premium forum ($20 for lifetime).

nudone:
i think i've seen a similar project in Custom PC magazine - if i can find it i'll let you know.

edit:

just had a look in google - there appears to be quite a few sites talking about such projects.

Hirudin:
Welp, I've been pouring over the $20 forum for the last week or so (time really flies when I become obsessed with something!). I've decided that I'm going to do it. I've also decided to go big with the projector (not go home)! If everything goes as planned (which it wont) I'll have a HD (1080p) projector within a month or two. I expect to "save" about $12,000 by not buying a comercial projector too! I might scrap the whole thing still, but I don't plan to. (Sorry, that last sentence was only written so that I could have 3 sentences in a row that end in a homonym of the word "to.")

I plan on taking tons of pictures while I build it, I haven't decided if it would be fair (to the greedy forum) to post the pictures on the 'net (for the general public) or if I should post them to the forum...

mouser:
looking forward to seeing the pictures!

If everything goes as planned (which it wont)
--- End quote ---
lol

f0dder:
Hrm, you should look around some more before you start this project - I remember reading about it sometime (I think it was with a fresnel lens?), but quickly found some other sites stating that the quality was pretty poor, and required some pretty insane lighting to even work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version