ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dying technologies: do you still use a printer much?

<< < (7/12) > >>

J-Mac:
Oh yeah! Sir "Prints-a-Lot" here!

I can't sit at the computer for more than about 30 minutes at a time, max, so I must print a lot of documents for reading later. I have to print virtually ALL PDF manuals for software I use.

I also do a good bit of digital photo editing and I still do print a fair number of photos on Canon Photo Pro paper. My 3+ year old Canon MP-830 has been a stalwart for me. Sadly Canon doesn't offer anything like it anymore.

Jim

SKesselman:
I wouldn't say that I print more or less. I always seem to be unable to print, for one reason or another.
I've always needed a decent printer and have either had a problem inkjet (3, ranging from $100-$600, really didn't matter), or none at all.
Getting ready to toss my highly recommended Epson.

When I first saw a wet, soggy, streaky page come out of an inkjet printer maybe 13 years ago, I knew that no matter how long they tried to perfect these things, they'd only get so far, and I was right. I'm still printing out crappy looking documents. Unfortunately, I was introduced to and put to work on a laser printer as an admin. asst., long before I ever saw an inkjet...kind of like going from a Lexus to a Kia. 

The only inkjet I've ever seen that impressed me is my BF's Canon, but still, the thought of owning a laser printer makes my heart pound.
I can't afford one, but if I could, I'd be printing all kinds of things. I love to create and print beautiful images & documents.  :(

tranglos:
are you still buying and using as much printer ink and paper as you were a few years ago?
-zridling (August 26, 2009, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hardly ever. Ten years ago or so, when my main job was translating movies for video, I printed out every transcript I translated, in carbon copy, on a dot-matrix Star LC-20. I used to print a lot of handouts for my students, too. Now I have a HP L6 laser, really old now, and I don't think I print more than a 100 pages a year. Mostly invoices, for the companies that still insist on a hard copy, and an occasional ViaMichelin route before a long car ride. Can't remember when I last bought toner.

However, if HP isn't getting much business from me, it's partly through their own fault. Like Mouser and others who have replied above, I would happily print manuals, help files etc. and read them more comfortably. The thing is, the first thing that broke in every printer I'm aware of (mine, my friends', anywhere I've worked) is the paper feeder. In my HP the feeder broke right on schedule - a few weeks after the warranty expired. And I'm not going to bother with manually feeding fifty pages or a hundred one at a time. Yes, I used to have to do it on the dot-matrix, but those were dark times :)

If I could rely on the paper feeder not breaking, I would be printing much more and who knows, I might replace my old HP with a fancier new model. But these things *will* break, it's a foregone conclusion. I don't expect they've gotten any better, now that hardware is made so cheaply.

J-Mac:
If I could rely on the paper feeder not breaking, I would be printing much more and who knows, I might replace my old HP with a fancier new model. But these things *will* break, it's a foregone conclusion. I don't expect they've gotten any better, now that hardware is made so cheaply.
-tranglos (September 13, 2009, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have to say that my Canon PIXMA MP 830 is now over three years old - with extremely heavy usage - and going very strong. I commented above that Canon did not make a comparable printer anymore but their purported latest replacement for my model - the MX 860 - is the closest. And since my last post above I ordered one from Amazon.   :-[  Why? On sale for $124....

I compared the ink cartridge capacities and prices for the MP 830 and MX 860 and then analyzed that against my annual ink usage. The new printer's ink cartridges will cost me almost exactly twice annually what the old printer's ink cost me. Yikes! But I couldn't find a quality alternative for my MP 830 unfortunately. So for now I will continue to use the MP 830 till it dies and keep the MX 860 in reserve. BTW the MX 860 can be networked wirelessly while my current printer is attached to my network through my desktop PC, which means that on the occasions when my desktop crashes no one can print until I get it restarted.

Jim

Midnight Rambler:
Print mostly to .pdfs but still make hard copies for convenience.  Nice not to have to turn systems on just to view information.  Paper copies also still necessary for online coupons used in brick and mortar stores and to print job applications.

Come to think of it, still multiple uses for hard copies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version