ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help? Learning how to drive...

<< < (4/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
Oh yeah, on a serious note... and I've seen this happen right in front of me while walking down the road, plus it's one of those tips they used to give all the time on public service announcements on TV:

If you happen to be driving and a vehicle is coming the opposition direction, like on a 2 lane road, not divided, and the car starts drifting into your lane(the guy is falling asleep at the wheel.. prolly drunk) do not try to sneak over into his lane and sneak by his car, even if there's nobody on that side of the road after his car.  What will happen, at the last second, the guy will open his eyes, see he's on the wrong side of the road, and instinctively steer back to the correct side of the road.  If you are trying to sneak by, he'll steer right into you.

All you can do in that case is slow down, stay on your side of the road, move over onto the shoulder if possible, and you can try beeping the horn incessantly.  He may wake up and correct his steering.

I've seen a guy try to "sneak by to the left" and the dude woke up and plowed him just like in the PSAs on TV.  Fortunately I was far enough away I didn't catch any shrapnel.   :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
So you're looking for a safe, simple, cheap way of learning to steer around obsticals, maintain your lane, backup & etc.

(Don't Laugh)

Scare up a riding lawnmower & go do some lawns. You get all of the above plus non-lethal penalties for taking too sharp a turn.
Mower = tore up patch of grass
Car = Expensive parts & death.

The biggest danger to most drivers is inattention; they're busy doing X and then... :) ...it happens. On the mower going 5mph you're attention will wander quickly...which (in a typical small yard) will put you into alot of "oh shits" (safely) in a short period of time.

and you might make a few bucks in the process.

wreckedcarzz:
Thanks for the tips, gonna keep watching this thread :) - I can go out and get my permit any time now (got a certificate that waives the written test, only vision required), and my mom is supposed to let me go back to the parking lot sometime in the next few days

Also, I have a riding lawnmower, and have used it many times over the last few years... hmm, never really thought about it when I was 'driving' it though

alivingspirit:
I just got my licence today. It was a very easy driving test ( Illinois ). The guy testing me just asked me to drive around a little bit. No parallel parking or anything like that.

wreckedcarzz:
Yeah, out here the driving test is a 3 point turn and a drive around the block.

Some test *rolls eyes*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version