ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help? Learning how to drive...

<< < (2/8) > >>

Shades:
A tricky thing to do is;  on a empty parking lot make a slalom course (10+ pivot points) that you can easily manage driving forward. Now do the same course backwards without looking back. Use only your mirrors. When you manage to do the course forwards and backwards in the same amount of time, you will have enough 'feeling' for the car you are driving.

The Dutch army was my driving instructor and I had to learn a lot regarding the Dutch traffic rules and how to handle cars in different situations.

Here in Paraguay you are allowed to drive a car if you can afford the car and the drivers license at your 17th birthday. Driving lessons are optional here. Because of this the difference in traffic between both countries is enormous.

The tree tips I mentioned earlier saved me/the car from a lot of damage, because of some idiot trying to a stupid maneuver completely disregarding the direction of traffic. Now I could go on about how badly people park their cars here but then it starts to look like ranting.

momonan:
You must be so exited about learning to drive!  By now, you know that the act of driving is easy (step on one pedal to move and another to stop, plus a wheel to turn the.  The hard part is knowing what to do when.  I've taught several people to drive, and suggest you do the following:

1.  stick with with 45-minute practice sessions:  keep the sessions short and end before you lose your confidence.

2.  find someone to ride with you who doesn't make you crazy. and can break down the maneuvers in a way that is helpful for you.  I have heard it said that it shouldn't be a parent, but don't believe it. If you have a parent or grandparent who you trust to do the job, go for it.  Probably the only taboo would be a sibling; they can really make you crazy.

3.  remember that there are "rules" and protocol.  It is helpful to know the rules, but even more important to know the protocol:  who is "supposed" to be able to do something, as opposed to watching the behavior of other cars and letting them know what you plan to do.

4.  Stay far enough behind the car in front of you that you can accommodate any stupid thing they might do.  Put even more space between you and the car in front of you if it looks like the car (or truck) in front of that car, or behind you, is apt to do something stupid.

5.  Remember that the purpose of your signals is to let other drivers know what you want to do.  So, apply them early enough and they find the right opportunity to do what you meant to do -- and be sure to discontinue the signal once you have done what you want to do.

6.  Scan the perimeter of the road, the way you would a video, looking for speed-limit signs, and comply with them.  Drive like there's a cop behind you -- probably because there will be, especially if you're young.

7.  Never never ever text or talk on the phone while you're driving!!  This is the most important thing to remember (and sometimes the hardest when your friends are accustomed to having you respond right away).  Just tell them you will not be responding while you're driving and wait until you have reached your destination safely to take a look.

Driving is a real sign of independence.  Think how great it will be to be doing it for a long, long time.

wreckedcarzz:
Actually, three general tips spring to mind:
- Remain in comfortable state of mind during each whole drive.
- Use your mirrors! All of them!! All the time!!!
- When in doubt, it is generally safer to wait or don't do the maneuvering you were planning to do (highway).
-Shades (August 22, 2009, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did relax about 45 minutes into it and it did become much easier, so I'll try and relax earlier from now on
I actually ended up seeing several cars that my mom did not because I was using my mirrors and looking over my shoulder (when backing) properly
Ah, yes, I actually had an issue where I was pulling out of the Blockbuster's mini side-parking lot and had to wait for a car that wanted to turn in (I was blocking the lane, unfortunately, but they used the next closest entrance)

@MilesAhead
The SUV is full automatic, and all the cars I will potentially be driving are as well. The parking lot is only used for minimal cross-traffic (about 5 cars an hour, manageable). I also have watched my mom and dad driving (very tuned into everything they do) and have been able to point out things that they don't see yet (ex: that black car right there is gonna merge, you can tell from his slowing down and pulling left a little). My parents want to send me to Bondurant to do advanced driving after I get my permit, so I'll have stable knowledge and skills for defensive driving (thank god they are paying, though ;D).

A tricky thing to do is;  on a empty parking lot make a slalom course (10+ pivot points) that you can easily manage driving forward. Now do the same course backwards without looking back. Use only your mirrors. When you manage to do the course forwards and backwards in the same amount of time, you will have enough 'feeling' for the car you are driving.
-Shades (August 22, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can do a forwards slalom through all the large concrete barriers in the lot (about 15 of em) but I did not try them in Reverse. Might give that a go if I can get my mom to let me have another chance later today :)

You must be so exited about learning to drive!  By now, you know that the act of driving is easy (step on one pedal to move and another to stop, plus a wheel to turn the.  The hard part is knowing what to do when.
-momonan (August 22, 2009, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice list! #1 I'm not sure about - I was still fully alert and excited after almost 90 minutes, but I guess after more stressing situations it could become fatiguing

I don't need to worry about #6 because my dad is a retired police officer and... yeah - getting a speeding ticket would be... less than pleasant

#7 drives me mad - I don't have a cell phone (I do miss the old phone-in-car though!) but the idiots that DO and simply cannot get it through their concrete brain that they need to pull over because they are doing 10 under the limit and swerving worse than a drunk, they make me want to get out and beat them until they are no longer able to physically use the phone (there should be a law allowing that... :P)

All great input :) I'll see about the reverse slalom and see if I can't get some family members to drive in the lot with me to practice distance and other-car interactions

MilesAhead:
Oh yeah, the other thing I forgot to mention.. most important.  When you have it on Cruise Control(tm) keep one eye open while you're snoozin' & cruzin'. :)

You never know what might come up unexpectedly.

jgpaiva:
Oh, and never-ever use Cruise Control in a rear-wheel drive car at intersections with dirt on the floor. Ever.
(yep, bad experience: did that when I first got my license and ended up on a dirt bank :) )
Actually, the more general advice would be "don't use cruise control out of freeways" ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version