ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help? Learning how to drive...

(1/8) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
An odd topic for DC, I know, but this is the most family-like forum that I know of, and because I am most comfortable here than anywhere else on the interwebs, figured why not :)

I am 16 and 9 months, currently in a Drivers Ed class at my high school, with Behind the Wheel (6 hour, in-car with driving instructor from school) lined up for sometime in Sept-Oct, but I have extremely minimal driving experience (no permit yet, getting it next week-ish). I'm hoping that some of you can give me some thoughts on how I can prepare myself better before I go out to BtW (prior experience is a requirement). Also, I live in the US, but anyone at all can help me out - I may be going overseas in a couple of years anyways, and any knowledge is good knowledge! :Thmbsup:

Yesterday I went out for my first actual 'driving' attempt with my mom, in her 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe (AWD model - explanation below). We went to an almost-abandoned parking lot and she let me have at the wheel. After an hour and 15 minutes or so, I had gotten comfortable and run several self-tests (parking, etc, more below) and we headed home.

AWD info:
SpoilerThe AWD isn't real AWD - the Hyundai uses the old 'when traction is lost and/or excessive acceleration demands are met, engage AWD mode'
Therefore, its FWD until I punch the accelerator or the SUV starts to lose traction (I did the former twice)

I am looking for suggestions as to increasingly-difficult maneuvers that I can do (I may be able to have my grandmother and/or dad drive around the lot with me in the coming days/weeks, so multi-car situations are great as well). The parking lot does have light cross traffic, and each end has businesses still open (Blockbuster Video on one end, assorted convenience stores on the other) but it is a good size lot. (Image below is at least 4 years old, if not more, the Wal-Mart there is long gone)

Here is my self-made log of what I did last night:
SpoilerAugust 21st
5:30 - 6:45PM
Abandoned parking lot/shopping mall @ Peoria and 83rd
Max 25MPH

Slolam (concrete dividers)
Slolam (concrete parking blocks)
Abrupt braking (accidental)
Abrupt acceleration (2x) with auto-engaged AWD
Smooth acceleration
Smooth braking
Parking into/backing out of angled parking spaces
Backing into/pulling out of angled parking spaces
Avoidance of road hazards (glass, etc)
Turn signal use
2-way traffic (1x)
Passing parked cars (1x)

Need to:
Work on backing (farther, less angled) into spaces
Work on pulling (farther) into spaces
Smoother turns
Use turn signals more often
Stop earlier at 'intersections'
Parking into/backing out of straight parking spaces
Parallel parking
Stay closer to right side
Test different gear options (N, +, -)
Test AWD mode
Use cones/obstacles for better practice/prepared tests

Anything that can be done, any suggestions, any thoughts - post 'em! I'll take all the help I can get :)

Josh:
You want a challenge? Drive to Springfield, VA and try the mixing bowl at rush hour. You will hit every conceivable obstacle you can imagine. Also, try NJ. You will not be allowed to make a left turn and as such your driving adventure will vary from anywhere else in the world.

wreckedcarzz:
You want a challenge? Drive to Springfield, VA and try the mixing bowl at rush hour. You will hit every conceivable obstacle you can imagine. Also, try NJ. You will not be allowed to make a left turn and as such your driving adventure will vary from anywhere else in the world.
-Josh (August 22, 2009, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

Keep in mind that I'm in Arizona, the #1 state for Red Light Runners (even WITH the cameras); also, the speed limit law is, essentially, 'go at a reasonable speed as to keep with traffic' - so even if the Speed Limit is 65 (freeways), most cars do 75-95 and you have to 'keep up with traffic'

I have the danger, I just need the preparations for that first :P

Shades:
Actually, three general tips spring to mind:
- Remain in comfortable state of mind during each whole drive.
- Use your mirrors! All of them!! All the time!!!
- When in doubt, it is generally safer to wait or don't do the maneuvering you were planning to do (highway).

MilesAhead:
Assuming the vehicle is automatic transmission, driving is easy.  It's parking, parallel parking, and doing the y-turn(if those are part of the tests there) that require a bit of practice.  The other stuff is just turning and break/gas.. pretty much self-explanatory.

My advice would be, unless the parking lot is utterly deserted, you are better off when you have your permit to get out on a real road with sparse traffic to start.  Parking lots are one of the most dangerous places around.  The yahoos think since they are not out on the road, there's no rules other than gun it to get past the other guy!!  Many of the twerps just back up until they hit something(no looking first.. that would be cheating.)  Also some of them will have it up to 40 MPH and as soon as you start to back up, they clip you.  Guess who will be at fault if you have a permit and they have a license?  So it's just better to stay out of lots.

Use roads that have good vision.  Try to stay away as much as possible from blind intersections.  You know the ones with 14' high hedges on the corner so you can't see the oncoming traffic until you are out into the intersection.  If you can see the yahoos coming, that's your best defense.  Watch the traffic and think to yourself "what's the lamest thing these twits could possibly pull?" and watch. 90% of the time, that's exactly what happens.  That's why they call it "defensive driving."  You're defending yourself against the yahoos!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version