ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Bat: Fix all the wrapping issues...now!

<< < (4/6) > >>

Innuendo:
continue there.  It's annoying.  For example, I wouldn't be able to do the following:

----
list1
list2
list3
---

Because as soon as I press enter, list2 will jump back and turn into "list1 list2"-superboyac (August 21, 2009, 12:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I said 95%. It's not perfect & in your example when the text turns into "list 1 list 2" just put the cursor right before "list 2" and hit enter. It'll stay properly formatted then. It's inconvenient & I can see your point, but the advantages of using The Bat! far outweigh the disadvantages of the editor.

Innuendo:
And of course, their support is way too archaic.  It's a mailing list.  So to ask a question, you have to sift through a whole mailing list.  They have a forum, but all the "real" users use the mailing list, so there's nothing of value in the forums.  They might as well not even have it.  So, the best way to read the mailing list is to use a newsgroup reader unless you want to actually subscribe to the emails, which is nonsense just to ask a couple of questions about your email program.  It's not like I want to follow the development of the Bat every day, like it's the most important thing in my life (I already do that here!).

Seriously, I love the program, but they need to get with the times.
-superboyac (August 21, 2009, 02:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

What one user calls archaic another user may call refreshing. I wish all the programs I used had a usenet support forum. Having all the support for all my programs just a click away in my newsreader would make me very happy. I realize, though, that not everyone likes usenet, but if one just wants to keep up on the support forums there's access through the web & configurable RSS feeds. That's four ways to access their support forum. Surely one of those methods will trip your trigger.

superboyac:
I am pretty convinced that the developers of the Bat are not really all that friendly.  They will not respond to any of my feature suggestions anymore and they refuse to address the problem I've explained here other than to say "That's how it is and we're not going to change it."  It doesn't make sense to me because the feature I am asking for doesn't change anything, it just adds a small feature, something most developers would easily and gladly add.

Again, I asked for the following feature:
--When Auto-Format is turned on, have an additional option (checkbox) to enable/disable "Allow single carriage return"

There's no reason for current users to oppose this idea because it would be transparent to them.  If they don't want anything to change, just leave it off and everything will be the same.  But for others like me, it allows us to start new lines without having to press Enter twice, while still keeping the auto-format reflowing features, and the other benefits of using microEd.  Yet, many users in their mailing list oppose the idea and keep telling me to just use Alt-L.  I'm not looking for a workaround.  I know about Alt-L.  That's not the point.  I know how to do it if I have to, I just feel it's too much work for something that needs to always happen.

This is not the first time I've been frustrated by the Bat's developers and community.  A few months ago, I asked a question that was critical about MicroEd on their forum, and the banned me from the forum without warning and removed the thread.  I was not being mean or rude, I was just questioning and somewhat critical.  This was the first and only time my feature suggestions and comments about a program have not been appreciated and actually had a negative response.

That's why I said 95%. It's not perfect & in your example when the text turns into "list 1 list 2" just put the cursor right before "list 2" and hit enter. It'll stay properly formatted then. It's inconvenient & I can see your point, but the advantages of using The Bat! far outweigh the disadvantages of the editor.
--- End quote ---
Innuendo, no offense, but this is exactly the type of response I am getting from the other users.  I know you mean well, but my point in asking was not because I couldn't find a workaround.  I know how get it to work the way i want using the current features.  What I'm frustrated about is the extra steps it takes, which I feel can be eliminated if they add my feature suggestion.

Every day for the last several years, when I use the Bat, i probably have to do a few extra steps because of this wrapping issue.  I wouldn't care so much normally, but in this case, it's a tool that I use way too much to go unsaid.

Innuendo:
Innuendo, no offense, but this is exactly the type of response I am getting from the other users.-superboyac (August 24, 2009, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

No offense taken. I guess I don't see what the problem is because I have always typed the way MicroEd expects me to...going all the way back to when I first started with computers back in the mid-80s. I always double-space between paragraphs as that is the way I was taught to type, etc. The only time I ever run into a 'problem' is when I try to type something like your "list 1  list 2" example, but it's always easily fixed.

You may need to start looking for a new email program if it irritates you so much & the developers won't see your way of thinking.

superboyac:
You may need to start looking for a new email program if it irritates you so much & the developers won't see your way of thinking.
-Innuendo (August 25, 2009, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nah, it's not that serious.  The Bat is still by far the best email program.  I'll deal with it.  but I do feel the whole Bat community is kind of out of touch...quirky at the very least.  I suppose it's typical of programs that offer a lot of power and customizations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version