ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Timeline Software

<< < (2/3) > >>

sword:
Ampa,

I use Microsoft Publisher to make timelines for genealogy that sound similar to what you want to do. They fit on a page that is 44 inches by 36 inches and can cover any time spans. Mine usually cover from 1650 to 1850. It was a bit tricky setting up the underlying strip of dates but I will gladly share the components if you have Publisher.

thomthowolf:
LifeJournal2 has a pretty good timeline feature that might be what you are looking for. 

DBC:
You might like to try LivingTime. Here are some screenshots:
http://www.livingtime.com/screenshots/index.html

The software was - I think - originally designed for the Mac, but there is a Windows version as well that I use. It uses Filemaker. To be honest, I haven't come upon anything nearly as well-designed as it is for the tasks you have in mind. That said there are some hokey aspects to it, and on a PC it shows its Mac origins a bit too obtrusively in the somewhat clunky and cutesy interface. Don't let these put you off trying it out...

My only reservation (apart from the above) is that its development seems to have been languishing for some time. I think this is because it is such a specialized piece of software. OTOH, I would have thought that genealogists would have seen its potential for recording their own lives in detail and the lives of their immediate relatives for their descendants.

Derek

vixay:
ampa, once you've chosen something let me know. I have been on a quest to do this as well, but never been satisfied. I used dandelife.com once but meh. It's a matter of laziness.

The objective i had with such a project was to give a summary of ones life and emotional state to a new person, to clarify the formation of core beliefs and behaviors.
Anyway so far I've just used paper and pencil for it. :P

What would also work would be to go through your memories and add photos/blog post/comment in a blog software and then use one of those MIT's exhibit/timeline tools to create a summary from those. This would require some programming and such, but it would work.

Regardless let me know when you have chose something. I don't know why but a particular class of users are interested in this application and there haven't been many providers.

dr.fun:
...you should have a look on "Timeline Maker" - nice program, but not free: http://www.timelinemaker.com/.

Regards - Joerg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version