ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009

Chore Cards.. Almost makes it fun..

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ampa:
Trying your method out this week.

Instead of feeling down because of a big pile of washing up, I now feel down because my chore card is nagging me to do the big pile of washing up!

Seriously: I think it might be helping :)

tomos:
mouser, a sort of banal side-question - did you use your label printer here ? (or how are they printed?)
The printed text, especially with bold & underlined, give the notes a lot of authority :) (maybe even the font makes a difference :tellme: I'm serious about font btw - a very "don't mess with me" font)

mouser:
I use a Dymo labeler for all of these things
(see my mini-review here)

It makes a *HUGE* difference in terms of usability.. you might not think it would but it really does.. the brain just seems to process these cards differently if they have clean printed label vs. hand-written.

Deozaan:
My family used an index card system. It was a bit more complex than yours.

The cards were color coded for how often they needed to be done: daily, weekly, monthly, and perhaps even bi-monthly, yearly, and other time intervals. The card tray then had dividers for each day, week, month, etc. I don't remember exactly what these dividers were. 1-31 (one for each potential day of the month) should be enough if you organize your chores to no larger than 1 month intervals.

Then each day you grab the cards from the current day, do the chore, and then file them back in to the next appropriate time they need to be done. It's really efficient and works well, if you keep up on it.

I've been thinking about this index card system a lot lately and I've been wanting a todo list type program that was organized this way. Then again, it's probably only really effective if you've got the physical cards to touch and feel and get out and put back in.

Paul Keith:
I'm not so sure of that Deozaan.

My idea for the Timeline Maker Alternative for example addresses the same issue in which Pop Up Wisdom's well... Pop Up replaces any physical card necessary. Different subject and objective but same principle.

Similarly, app uses the digital Post-it software from 3m which does the same.

Equally before Google screwed the app up, I was a big fan of Activity Tracker's "punch card" type feel.

Supermemo and it's clones also relies on the digital flash card system to better streamline the process and improve upon the traditional hand held flash card.

In fact, most of the programs which I ended up sticking with had some sort of card form combination implemented with it. I'm not saying they fulfill your need but physical index cards are only advantageous in it's portability and print-snappiness (if you have a labeler)

As a full blown system like what you're talking about, maintenance can be hell especially if only one person is managing it. Not impossible (it's much simpler to set up than David Allen's 43 folders/envelopes/file cabinet majingey) but not really near omnipotent for someone who doesn't have a room or even the house to himself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version