ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FileBox eXtender Alternatives

<< < (4/10) > >>

johnk:
Although I settled on File-Ex a few years ago, I've never been happy with the Recent/Favourite folder menus in the program, which are rather clunky to use.

Then recently I happened upon Folder Menu, an AHK script which I don't recall being mentioned in these forums when this subject is discussed. Like other dialog extenders, hitting a hotkey (or clicking the mouse middle button) brings up Folder Menu's flexible, customisable menu in file open/save dialogs or explorer:

It's quick and easy to use, and for me it's an improvement on the File-Ex menus, so now I use both programs together, and the set-up works very well.

EDIT: Just Googled Folder Menu and I see it got a mention on LifeHacker about a month ago.

Contro:
Powerpro seems very powerful and a lot of options. Perhaps too much. I have installed this in the past as portable and I remember that have many options.
CFDbutton I'll proof. Downloaded.
Direct folder seems to be a commercial program.
Folder menu Downloaded.
I had Powerpro installed in portable mode, and see that CFDbutton and Folder Menu are portable. This is very important for me. I have Filebox eXtender in "simuling" portable mode, but the data is shared between the systems. It's not a good portable.

Contro:
tomos beat me to recommending the DC review  :)

As I use Total Commander as my file manager, rather than Windows Explorer, I don't have quite so much need, but you still can't avoid folder dialogs.  I run PowerPro and find its "Favorite folders lists for file open/save dialogs" feature very useful.
-rjbull (July 28, 2009, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

It seems to be a complete program, but i have others adopted like Virtual Dimension, Power Tray. Don't arrive in a good moment. Its presentation is not very good. The web is poor, but I think the program is good.

Not adopted.

superboyac:
Direct folder seems to be a commercial program.
-Contro (July 30, 2009, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Direct Folders is freeware.  You get additional features for the Pro version.  These features are not that big a deal for most people.  Did you read my review?

Contro:
CFDButton is not present in some windows. Perhaps I don't understand well.
Folder Menu seems to be a launcher from the tray icon. I am using Power Tray for that purpose.
I will have to have this applications under observation.
I still think Filebox eXtender is the best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version