ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

SC: Discussion of Scanning Functions

<< < (2/8) > >>

longrun:
you can already do a Save As and save a screenshot as PDF.
since it seems like such a common thing people would want to do, i was thinking of adding a button to the scanner toolbar to say Save as PDF; i was also thinking of making it so you could select multiple images from the thumbnail panel and it would save them all to one pdf multi-page document.

--- End quote ---
-mouser (July 27, 2009, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
The button might be nice but PDF should definitely be added to the option in Override Screenshot File Format.

longrun:
not true -- the way SC works is it does NOT re-query the list of available scanners until you hit scan, and it doesnt update the options list until you re-select from the TWAIN/WIA dropdown.
--- End quote ---
My apologies. Apparently I didn't realize that the scanner list changed depending on whether TWAIN or WIA was selected.

I'd like a keyboard shortcut for scanning.
already exists, go into hotkey options and set one.
--- End quote ---
Again, my apologies.

Do I understand correctly that Acquire image from scanner (Dialog toggled) does the opposite of whatever is selected in the scanning options? That is, if Show and use native scanner dialog is selected, then the dialog will not be selected when using Dialog toggled? That had (or perhaps has) me confused.

you have it right; i know its a bit confusing, but you do have it right.

--- End quote ---
Since I have it right I guess I don't understand why you don't either
(a)have two buttons/menu options: Scan directly from SC and Scan using TWAIN/WIA (and say Scan rather than the verbose Acquire image from scanner; I thought Acquire technically meant scan using TWAIN).
(b)one Scan button with hotkey toggle.-mouser (July 27, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
-mouser (July 27, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
-mouser (July 27, 2009, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

mouser:
i understand the confusion over the weird way i did the 2 toolbar scan buttons, and i agree it's a bit confusing.

i'll tell you why i did it that way:
there are several places where you can say what should trigger scanning -- for example with a hotkey, and when pressing the physical scanner button.
rather than try to have multiple options there where you say what kind of scan to perform on those triggers (with or without dialog), i decided it would be easier to let user configure their default way of scanning (with dialog or without), and that these triggers would always do that.  then on the occasional times you want to do the other, you have that additional menu item/toolbarbutton.

anyway, we can revisit it later if it stays a problem.

longrun:
Changing the subject, I've long thought that SC might be useful to a wider range of people if installation offered the choice between a basic and advanced interface. The former would just have choices like selected region, entire workspace, etc. SC is fabulous but most of the people I deal with would find it completely overwhelming. There are of course programs that offer only these limited options but I imagine some people discover SC and find it too difficult to use.

mouser:
PDF should definitely be added to the option in Override Screenshot File Format.
--- End quote ---

i was going to do that but ran into a small problem.
SC relies on the windows shell to show thumbnails of screenshots in the left side panel.

for many (most?all?) people (does it require a special extension?), the windows shell will not show a thumbnail image of a pdf file.  that means that if SC saved your scan as a pdf, you wouldn't actually see a preview of it in the left sidebar, just a generic adobe icon.

worse, once saved as PDF, SC cannot re-open a previously saved PDF and edit it (such a thing might be possible to add eventually but not without much work).

so in short, using PDF as the default image file format for scans is not something SC can do currently.

the best i can do in the sort term is making it really easy to save a copy of an image in PDF form, or to save a collection of images as a pdf multi-page document.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version