ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Program Whose Time Has Come: virtual folders, collections, file baskets...

<< < (5/8) > >>

Innuendo:
Great ideas and great post. I've said this before, WinFS was supposed to accomplish much of this, esp the part about having having a database backed file store, rich metadata and programmatic access to it. Its a real pity MS decided to scrap it.-MrCrispy (July 30, 2009, 01:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

It got scrapped because it didn't work very well. It sucked the performance out of high performance PCs I have heard.

I think this could be done more efficiently by writing a file system driver which would hook into NTFS as well as a windows service that would work at organising tags, collections etc in the background. Obviously this is not a trivial task and I'm guessing it would need OS integration to really work well.

--- End quote ---

And this was basically what WinFS was. It was a database that hooked into NTFS & I guess that just wasn't a set-up that was efficient enough and quick enough to be viable. I'm sure, though, that somewhere in the bowels of MS there's a team working on the successor to NTFS that will have this kind of stuff built into the filesystem itself rather than something bolted onto the top of something else like WinFS was.

DonL:
Virtual Folders (VFOs) are next on the XYplorer roadmap. They will be fully integrated, portable (!), ultra-fast, have a location in the folder tree, be searchable, and more. Search the XY user forum for "Virtual Folders" to get some ideas.

Don
http://www.xyplorer.com/

wraith808:
I looked at Tabbles to see if it was going to be this idea... unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it is.

m9833:
Thanks for the thread, guys! I am using Tag2Find at the moment, and am very happy with it. Detalizer also seems to be good (I have not tried it myself). I really do think that the Tags/Metadata need to be integrated in the file itself (Like in MP3s), apart from in a database. With a database, the tags only work on a particular system, and the tags are lost the moment the files are used on a different system or on a network! Does anyone know of such a solution! Thanks again!

mwb1100:
For those using XYplorer and are interested in this Virtual Folders idea, it looks like DonL is starting work on adding it to XYplorer (http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3324&start=15#p36688), so you may want to wander over to that forum if you want to have a hand in shaping its development to your taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version