ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Paragon System Backup 2010 Release Candidate (free)

<< < (2/4) > >>

cmpm:
Not one process, two process'. My bad.
The second runs at 766 k.
dbh service and dbh agent

also all my downloads go to my slave drive
although i do install to the primary drive

MilesAhead:
The other thing that can be touchy is the backup capsule creation(at least in Vista64.) That's what provoked my "testing" of the backup.  The system still booted, but it would not let me shrink C: by more than about 13 GB even though I had tons of free space and the drive was defragged.  What fixed the partition table was a backup and restore with Macrium Reflect.  The backup capsule deal seemed to work fine on my XP machine.  Vista seems to cause them problems.

Carol Haynes:
Vista seems to have some issues with defrgenattaion that are unresolved. For example if I use PerfectDisk on Windows XP all the data is moved to the beginning of the drive and a boot time defrag moves all of the system stuff into coherent places. In Vista some of the system stuff still seems to be locked even at boot time and refuses to move. This can stop the shrinking of partitions. I wouldn't necessarily blame the backup/restore it seems to be more of a Windows issue because you can't even fully defrag before you dot he backup.

MilesAhead:
As soon as Macrium Reflect was done, it worked.  I selected "restore MBR from backup" on the Macrium Restore.  Then I could shrink it by over 400 GB.  I don't think it's a defrag issue.  I've had Paragon capsule creation mess me up a couple of times. If you try it on Vista/W7 I recommend not doing it from the desktop gui if there's another method.  My recommendation in Vista is boot the restore CD and then do the image restore from external drive or whatever.

As I say, on XP Pro the backup capsule creation thing worked.  If there's some issue with Vista then they should detect it and refuse to attempt creating the capsule.  Not just go ahead and crap out!

Also test the Boot CD and see if it detects your HD ok.  If it doesn't, the video will go weird and it will crash unless you select "compatibility mode" and then you can do a restore at 1/10th x.  My fake Raid HD wasn't even usable by Macrium free version. I had to get the 4.2 release as it has a new Linux boot CD that recognized the drive.

Try before you depend on it with all these image backups.

edit: also since the MBR holds the partition table and MBR is a common target of malware attack, I wouldn't use any backup partition as my only image backup.  It's a little slower to back up to external but way more dependable.  Plus it's a good idea to back up to an external and then remove it from the machine.  Makes it harder for viruses that try to infect every drive on your machine/network.

cmpm:
the backup capsule is in a linux based format
maybe that's why it has trouble with Vista
i don't know, i don't have vista, just xp

and yes if i could use my usb drive i would
better choice
but it's too slow, till i get usb2. , which is coming
as soon as my kid goes to college
then he will done with my better computer
and using his laptop

i do have a 640gb seagate external
and tried it with Paragon and this old computer
it only made a folder with the 'arc' backups in it
but was still too slow, although it worked

i don't think the backup capsule is needed
but i don't know how to tell it to use a partition or a folder,
yet,

cause the choice is obvious right now-
lacking time and patience to deal with an all day backup running slowly to my usb for testing

i do hope it doesn't switch to having to pay for it
it's 3 or 4 hundred US dollars,
last time i looked at the complete promo/info
it's not worth that much
especially with the limited options-as it is......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version