ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does MySQL care about Windows users? in short, no

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:

This is very sad.

If you want to program, then linux offers the best environment (as l long as you stay with OSS). The windows ports are horrible to work with.

But in my experience, everything else -not programming- is worse under Linux (text editing, word processing, video, sound, etc).

When is this going to end? I'm tired of having to run VMs just to get the best of both worlds...

Other than python (that sorta works ok on windows), most programming tools from OSS get only passing attention on Win. Windows Ruby is really a disgrace.

Possible solutions:
1- convince OSS guys to test on windows... not gonna happen.
2- get Linux to a point where all the other things are tolerable. Not gonna happen either. Commercial software has the edge, and it doesn't make business sense to move to linux.

Anyone feeling creative bold enough to post a solution that could work?

f0dder:
It's funny how a lot of OSS guys think they're writing portable software, when in reality you're lucky if it works across all *u*x variants - not to mention non-unices :)

And linux doesn't necessarily offer the best programming environment... sure, it's the least hassle if you're forced to use certain technologies. But there's other databases than MySQL. And who cares about ruby anyway, it's slowass and ugly :P

housetier:
You could strive to have different experiences.

I know mine differ, so I believe there is a possibility for you to also have less saddening experiences. For example Visual Studio works quite well on Windows, so I should think that makes programming easier. And then I have yet to find a movie that mplayer won't play.

As far as text editing goes... I think there is a good solution for every need. My needs are very small so I can make do with vim and textile or markdown. Others will be rather happy with (La)TeX because they will finally get superb-looking results. Then there is OpenOffice which like the expensive counterpart from Microsoft has more features than the average user will ever know.

Yeah it's a matter of perspective...

40hz:

But in my experience, everything else -not programming- is worse under Linux (text editing, word processing, video, sound, etc).
-urlwolf (July 23, 2009, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are those who would disagree with your experience. Me for one! :)

I work with Windows, OSX, and various NIX incarnations. I have not found one of them to be inherently better than any of the others. Each have strong points. And each have absolutely maddening issues and limitations.

I think it's easy an easy mistake to equate whatever we're "most familiar with" as being "better."

get Linux to a point where all the other things are tolerable. Not gonna happen either. Commercial software has the edge...
--- End quote ---

I''m also going to have to 'agree to disagree' with you on this one. I have clients running businesses entirely (i.e. desktop & infrastructure) on the GNU/NIX platform. None of them are having any of the issues you seem to be having. Most, in fact, say they prefer their "new" environment. (Note: The two that didn't prefer it said they didn't really care what they ran as long as it worked.)

Like the old disclaimer goes: Your individual mileage may vary.

For my part, I'm grateful there are choices. 8)

...and it doesn't make business sense to move to linux.
--- End quote ---

Umm...ok. Better give Google, IBM, SYNNEX, the USPS, the NYSE, RedHat and all the other NIX biggies a call and let them know that what they're doing doesn't make 'business sense.'

Better yet, charge them a consulting fee for telling them that. (Why should Gartner et al be allowed to collect all the nickles for making fancy guesses? :P)

:Thmbsup:

Josh:
40hz, I believe what urlwolf was stating was more that if you are ALREADY running Windows, it does not make sense to uproot that entire infrastructure and switch to linux for the sake of switching. Switching to another platform only makes sense if you can financially justify the added cost of retraining, time to convert the infrastructure, and any added support costs from using the new platform. I don't see anywhere in his statement that he said companies are wasting their time switching but instead implied what I just stated above. His comment about commercial software having an edge is true for the most part. Most OSS lacks the polish you see in the commercial product of similar functionality. Businesses often want to be able to use a product where they can call someone to get support and not rely on a forum where you are likely to be flamed for not "RTFM". Of course companies like the ones you name can run *nix, but do they do so as a SOLE PLATFORM or is it INTEGRATED into their infrastructure? Again, switching to one platform for the sake of switching does not make business-sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version