ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

An easy software to make street/road maps?

(1/4) > >>

KiTTy:
I'm looking for recommendations for an easy good software to make street maps.
Most likely to take, for example, a google map for correct proportions and then turn it into my own design.

Thank you :D

J-Mac:
You could probably use any decent map and take a screen capture of it. Then bring it into Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and hack away at it. I haven't heard of any software specifically designed for what you ask.

Jim

tsaint:
I think "google map buddy" might be worth a look ... it allows for easy stitching together of zoomed in google maps . Bteer to read this info from Ghacks at:
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/07/16/google-maps-downloader-and-joiner/#more-14436
I haven't tried it so can't vouch for its ease of use or quality of results.
The homepage for the software is: http://www.augmentedrealitysoftware.co.uk/gmb.html

KiTTy:
Thank you J-Mac & tsaint :)
J-Mac, yes presently that is the method- slow, pain in the tail

tsaint, thank you and thank you for the links; interesting and definitely could save some time.

I remember having some plug-ins for Illustrator and Indesign I used- but again, so time consuming and those were just mostly symbols. CAD I know is another option if I wanted to spend my life learning it first :p

Where or where are you "Map Maker Kitty Deluxe version 1.0"  :-*

tomos:
google map buddy sounds nice,
but if you want to make a quality map, I dont know of any software where you dont have to draw/trace everything and god help you if you want to add contours lol

Roads/streets - if you make the roadline say 3mm, clone the line and make the top line thinner, say 2mm. With lower line black, the upper white, you have an 'outlined' road - gets tricky at junctions so move the white lines into a higher layer so as they always show over the black (using any vector drawing programme)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version