ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

$20 if you make me a 6' Molex cable. $10 for recommending a better solution.

<< < (2/10) > >>

superboyac:
I couldn't find any brick that had enough power and also had a Molex connector.
-superboyac (July 17, 2009, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

What kind of connector did you find? It might be easier to just buy an adapter like I had to do when I bought my Dell and wanted to use some older drives (it only came with ability to power SATA)
-app103 (July 17, 2009, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that's the thing.  I couldn't find any brick that had that much power (50-80W) with a connector that I would be able to convert to a Molex with an adapter of some sort.  I looked for a long time with a bunch of combination, but didn't find any.

superboyac:
You could get one of those adapters that connects a bare IDE drive to a USB outlet - they always come with an AC adapter that will power IDE drives which happen to have Molex connectors.  Something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156101
-mwb1100 (July 17, 2009, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't see the specs for it, but I doubt it has enough juice to power this drive.  The current power supply I had was 34W which is enough for most drives, but was not enough for mine.  So I think I have to look towards more exotic solutions.  The general external solutions will not work, I don't think.

superboyac:
Darn, I should have read your story instead of glancing over it. Those connectors on the back are mainly for  connecting a hard drive when an emergency occurs. Of course you can use it on a more permanent basis but I do not know how much power it can sustain like that.

With each power supply you see several bundles of cables coming out. Each of those bundles is also known as a rail and can only output a fraction of the advertised power (watts) mentioned on the power supply. I have to assume that the molex on the back of the power supply is connected to one of these rails and it is hard to tell which one without inspecting the circuit board of the power supply.

Now I don't know which power supply you have installed and how you have divided the load from the (enormous amount of) connected devices regarding the available rails. So when you use the back molex together with such a long cable, make sure that you don't overload that particular rail because you can be in for a nasty surprise.

It would not be the first time that dividing the load from a misbehaving PC differently has removed a lot if not all of the problems it had. Power supplies that have their load not evenly divided wear out more quickly as well. A little bit of common sense here works wonders.

-Shades (July 17, 2009, 11:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think I understand what you are saying.  So what do you suggest?

app103:
I couldn't find any brick that had enough power and also had a Molex connector.
-superboyac (July 17, 2009, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

What kind of connector did you find? It might be easier to just buy an adapter like I had to do when I bought my Dell and wanted to use some older drives (it only came with ability to power SATA)
-app103 (July 17, 2009, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that's the thing.  I couldn't find any brick that had that much power (50-80W) with a connector that I would be able to convert to a Molex with an adapter of some sort.  I looked for a long time with a bunch of combination, but didn't find any.
-superboyac (July 17, 2009, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was why I asked you, because maybe I can help you find the right adapter. (can't look if I don't know what I am looking for)

mwb1100:
I'm no electrician, but sending 50-80W over 6' of that type of cable sounds like something that might be potentially hazardous (I'm not saying that it is - just that I'd look into that aspect).  A fire's the last thing you'd want from your setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version