ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

linux network question

<< < (2/4) > >>

steeladept:
I am limited on experience here for the server, but I would have thought SUSE would be the way to go.  Why?  SUSE is now owned and distributed by Novell...You know, the people who developed one of the first wide-spread, truly successful Network Operating Systems that worked with Windows?  Anyway, Novell had/has a structure not unlike active directory (not a surprise since Microsoft licensed the technology from Novell then beat them nearly to death with it).  Unfortunately, I don't recall what it was called - Directory Services maybe?  Anyhow, I would guess they would not have dumped it in SUSE seeing as it is so popular.  The only down side is it may require the SUSE enterprise a.k.a. not free version of SUSE.

Edvard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_%28software_bundle%29
The acronym LAMP refers to a solution stack of software, usually free and open source software, used to run dynamic Web sites or servers. The original expansion is as follows:

* Linux, referring to the operating system;
    * Apache, the Web server;
    * MySQL, the database management system (or database server);
    * one of several scripting languages: Perl, PHP or Python.[1]

--- End quote ---

It is the basic infrastructure for most Linux-based web content servers.
Whether you use the server for web stuff or not, it's a convenient package to get you everything a server would need.

40hz:
LAMP in and of itself won't give you everything you're looking to do. Think of it more as framework on which to build.

If you're new to the role of server administrator under Linux you'll definitely want to tale a look at eBox.

Link: http://trac.ebox-platform.com/

eBox Platform

eBox Platform is a unified network server that offers easy and efficient computer network administration for SMBs. It can act as a Gateway, an Infrastructure Manager, a Unified Threat Manager, an Office Server, a Unified Communication Server or a combination of them. These functionalities are tightly integrated, automating most tasks, avoiding mistakes and saving time for system administrators.

eBox Platform is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and runs on top of Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

eBox Technologies S.L. is the company behind eBox Platform and all the technologies and services related to them, providing a comprehensive set of deployment, support and managed services for the Global eBox Partner Network.
--- End quote ---

Like Karoshi, eBox can greatly simplify getting your server up and running since all the module integration has been done for you. Download and install it and you're ready to start configuring.

You could accomplish the same thing by starting with a LAMP server configuration and then adding additional software. But if you go this route you'll have to handle integrating everything yourself. It's not a super difficult task, but you'll need to be fairly knowledgeable about Linux (and comfortable editing config settings) to make it all work correctly. Best save that for a future project if you need to get something up and running fairly quickly.

eBox has very comprehensive "office server " features. Details at this link: http://www.ebox-technologies.com/products/office/

:Thmbsup:

(Note: The eBox ISO is free for the download. Paid training and support packages are also available.)

techidave:
Holy cow!  I had no idea there were going to be so many options.  It looks like I should get two computers and put a server on one and a workstation on the other.

this may not be quite as easy as I thought it might be. 

After visiting with my friend last nite, he is only going to start out with 5 or 6 boys at first.  that wouldn't be a huge thing to handle but I need to look toward the future also.

Shades:
Always had a thing for XAMPP. This is a German site by default, but an English version is there as well.

Windows and Linux version available. In 35 to 45 Mbyte you will get an Apache webserver, MySQL database server, Mail server, PHP, Perl, OpenSSL, PHPMyAdmin etc. All ready to run after unpacking and executing 1 small batch script.

Having said that the default configuration is very open, making it ideal for developing but not to put in a (semi-) public place. There is a link in the opening page that takes care of that so you should not have to lose too much sleep over it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version