ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome: Time for a Second Chance?

<< < (19/19)

MilesAhead:
Alright! I give up!! I need my eye candy!!  Now I don't load Speed Dial on startup though.  Just on New Tab.  Good thing I could sync my customizations over from my other machine.  Wouldn't want to do all that again!

MilesAhead:
I think I finally found the balance for me with Chromium.  Start page is about:blank and of course Speed Dial is New Tab.  Then I set Home Page to use New Tab.  Now even doing a malware scan it pops right up. Then I can click the Home button or New Tab to get Speed Dial with no waiting.  Seems loading Speed Dial on startup is what bogs it on a busy disk.

I'm only running LastPass, Speed Dial and AdBlock for extensions.
But I typically use 4 or fewer tabs.  I also don't really have need for simultaneous searches or other enhancements.  Everyone will tune it a bit differently.

bit:
1. Chrome listens to you without being prompted:
"Whistleblower: Google Chrome Can Listen To Your Conversations"

2. Adware vendors buy Chrome Extensions to send ad- and malware-filled updates:
Adware vendors buy Chrome Extensions to send ad- and malware-filled updates
Once in control, they can silently push new ad-filled "updates" to those users.
One of the coolest things about Chrome is the silent, automatic updates that always ensure that users are always running the latest version. While Chrome itself is updated automatically by Google, that update process also includes Chrome's extensions, which are updated by the extension owners. This means that it's up to the user to decide if the owner of an extension is trustworthy or not, since you are basically giving them permission to push new code out to your browser whenever they feel like it.

To make matters worse, ownership of a Chrome extension can be transferred to another party, and users are never informed when an ownership change happens. Malware and adware vendors have caught wind of this and have started showing up at the doors of extension authors, looking to buy their extensions. Once the deal is done and the ownership of the extension is transferred, the new owners can issue an ad-filled update over Chrome's update service, which sends the adware out to every user of that extension.

wraith808:
Posted here quite a bit ago, but there wasn't much uproar over it on DC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version