ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Problem for A Real Expert - the Haunted Router(s)

<< < (3/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Computers, more particularly their power supplies, can actually take a lot of bad treatment like "dirty juice" or even milliseconds of no power at all. Get into the named brands of power supplies (and associated price tag) you will be able to mistreat them even more, but not by much.
-Shades (July 14, 2009, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

My computer has a nameless basic power supply, giving out 700W of juice. It has withstood about 5 seconds without power, and the computer didn't even flinch. (This was during a strange, short power outage where we lost power for ~5 seconds, it returned, then about 10 seconds later we lost it for about 8-9, and it ALMOST made it... not quite though)

I have a Linksys WRT350N v1 currently, with a WRT300N v1 that was retired due to wifi issues that we're becoming a problem (along with the fact that I wanted the 350, and if I want it then it must be for the better of the family ;)). Our original Linksys, WRT54G v4, still goes strong (as does the 300 now, the issues stopped (I think it was simply stress + the heat of the modem and itself causing issues - the 350 appears to have better cooling (more open holes)). All of them run DD-WRT firmware as well, and that does seem to keep them running better in both performance and stability than the default Linksys firmware.

FWIW, I have switched the power plugs between the routers (except the 350, it has a specific label saying use ONLY this cable... I doubt it matters, though) with no problems, and we have had several power surges and failures over the years (they are always connected to a surge protector/power strip in my room).

Also, I have found that they can take quite a beating - I use the 54G and 300 for LAN parties at friend's houses, and both in transit and once I've got them setup, they can be hit, sat on, thrown, dropped, and more.... not that I would ADVISE you do any of that, but it has happened.

I would go and grab a new power strip first, and if the problem continues/occurs again, get some ventilation going. I have a computer armoire as well, however my modem and router sit on top of my printer, outside of it. If possible (it may sound somewhat stupid, but it may just work) you might consider buying/using an old 120mm case fan and putting it under/pointing it at the router, and see if that helps - although this would require:
1) the computer tower to have a slot in it that the power cable could fit though
2) the case to be relatively close to the router (or get an extension)
3) the cable to be out of sight for aesthetic purposes (optional, but most people are more picky than I am about stuff like that)

Also: default linksys password is admin/admin, I believe (could also be blank/admin)

4wd:
I seem to recall there being some issue with Linksys router power supplies in the past, (eg. failing within months), but I'm not sure whereabouts on the planet and how long ago.

@raybeere: You could also try powering the router off of an equivalently rated supply, (as long as it's not one the previously killed router supplies) - maybe it's original supply took just enough of a hit to make it marginal.
-4wd (July 14, 2009, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm trying to understand, but this isn't clear. If the power supply was dying, wouldn't the whole thing fail at once? The router is still working (although on my last ping a few minutes ago, the first ping took 7ms) but I cannot access the control panel at all. Why would the power supply affect this? I was thinking it was more that the firmware was messed up in some way.-raybeere (July 14, 2009, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, missed the bit about it being a access problem - was thinking more along router failure.

As for a PSU dying completely, that is only one manifestation of any potential fault with them.  It could just be running out of specification, eg. supplying low voltage, low current, intermittent voltage drops, too much ripple, etc, etc.

Depends on the type of PSU, while switchmode are nicely efficient, cool-running and take up less space, there's just something so reliable about a hunk of iron with copper wire wrapped around it when you use a transformer, even though they too are prone to failure.

With the access problem in mind, like Carol said, try a factory reset.  If that didn't work I'd probably stick another power supply on it and/or try a firmware flash via telnet before spending money on another modem/router.

I can recommend Zyxel, [insert deity] knows mine has taken quite a few power brownouts/fluctuations over the last 4 years and it's still going strong :)

tomos:
Yes, I've got to find the factory default password first. Or was it blank?
-raybeere (July 14, 2009, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
in case you cant find it I came across this page yesterday related to routers & skype
Your router is here:-
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54GL/Skype.htm
if you scroll down a page or so it says
By default the username is blank, and the password is admin. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.
--- End quote ---
dont know if that's dependable - sounds odd - no user name but a password, maybe it should be the other way round :-\

Carol Haynes:
Oops sorry - misread and gave the Netgear settings above instead of Linksys. The other thing is that the defailt route settings for Linksys are at 192.168.1.1

It's been a while since I used a Linksys router but I seem to rember tomos is correct - no user name and password is admin. If admin doesn't work try password instead.

4wd:
"Dirty" power: Thanks the most absurd house wiring layout I've ever seen, I have no choice but to have all this stuff on the same circuit as the refrigerator. Sigh. I know that isn't great - but, again, why just the router? Why isn't anything else having problems? (In all that time, I lost one cheap printer that was already on its way out - to a clogged print head. That's it, except for the routers.) So, not good, I agree (and if anyone has cheap suggestions for improving the situation, I'm all ears), but that doesn't seem right, either.-raybeere (July 14, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just in regard to your Dirty Power, I take it an extension lead to a GPO on another circuit is out of the question?

Either for the fridge or computer equipment, of course you need to clear the existing fault w.r.t the router before you can try this as a means to prove it one way or the other.

Mind you, as soon as you start using an extension lead nothing will happen.................until the week after you stop using it :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version