ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Corel PaintShop Pro X - 4 Free

<< < (3/7) > >>

PhilB66:
You know, I have never gotten this nag, seriously. I didn't allow the program to check for new versions.  I was more worried about the Protexis service that isn't listed in the EULA and silently installs.
-y0himba (July 18, 2009, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Protexis could be stopped and removed as well.

Carol Haynes:
If you disable both of the Protexis Services PaintShop Pro X won't run (it just reports it is damaged and needs to be reinstalled).

Innuendo:
I don't mind an occasional offer of this sort, but Ashampoo's efforts are excessive, annoying, and hence counterproductive.  I'm now much less likely to buy any product from them. -cyberdiva (July 18, 2009, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, man...I just had some horrific flashbacks! I downloaded a free older version of one of their CD/DVD burning programs years ago and it took me forever to opt out all of the mailing lists that indiscretion landed me on.

Nothing is free when dealing with Ashampoo...you may not open your wallet, but you'll pay in some other way.

And what kind of company name is Ashampoo anyway?

Curt:
Not sure about your second question, Curt. Did you allow Corel to change your file associations?
-PhilB66 (July 18, 2009, 06:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
2) The first file I edited will not be read by any other program. Not even by Explorer!
What setting(s) may I need to change?
-Curt (July 18, 2009, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. I now see that I forgot to tell that I saved my first file as "Lossless" which for some very strange  reason only can be done deep down in the settings. Maybe this was the problem, the Corel version of Lossless?

I will test this, tomorrow, but not today.

No, I did not allow any associations.

y0himba:
If you disable both of the Protexis Services PaintShop Pro X won't run (it just reports it is damaged and needs to be reinstalled).
-Carol Haynes (July 18, 2009, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I posted the instructions here on the forums a while back. https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=14838.0

If anyone is interested, you CAN disable and remove the unannounced Protexis licensing spyware. THIS IS NOT A HACK AND YOU STILL NEED TO PURCHASE THE PROGRAM AND USE A VALID KEY.  It just removes the unnecessary background service that was shoved into your system without your permission.

* Close Paint Shop Pro
    * Go into control panel, administrative tools, services sort the services by name, then stop the Protexis V2 service
    * Browse to your Corel directory, then into Paint Shop Pro's root folder ("\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2" where "Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo.exe" resides)and MOVE "PSClient.dll" to another folder, then rename it "PSClient.dll.bak"
    * Browse to your Windows/system32 folder and find "PSIKey.dll" MOVE it to another directory, rename it to "PSIKey.dll.bak"
    * Browse to "\%Program Files%\Common Files\Protexis\License Service" and rename the DLL in that directory to "PSClient.dll"
    * MOVE the newly renamed "PSClient.dll" to your Corel PSP root directory (same place that the PSP executable resides)

Start Paint Shop Pro and be sure it works.  If it does, you can remove the backup files, open a command prompt, use "sc delete PSI_SVC_2" to remove the protexis service, then delete the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\" directory.-y0himba
--- End quote ---

You can also search Google for "Remove Protexis Licensing".  I believe they have started using a new version of the Protexis garbage, the files may be in different locations (C:\Program Files\Common Files) but the instructions are basically the same.

(P.S. This is my 150th post. Woot!?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version