ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows XP & sata drive

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
EDIT: Actually I do now vaguely remember loading my SATA drivers from flash drive for SP2 for my old AsRock 939 motherboard - maybe it depends on the motherboard?

Dang it!  I'll just have to try it on the spare computer for each SP, enquiring minds want to know......grrrrr.......curse you f0dder!         :P
-4wd (July 16, 2009, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
If it has an USB floppy emulation mode, then perhaps that would work? I think the "press f6 to insert drivers" thing happens before booting fully into the NT kernel, so it has an opportunity to use BIOS calls and copy drivers to the install partition?

4wd:
If it has an USB floppy emulation mode, then perhaps that would work? I think the "press f6 to insert drivers" thing happens before booting fully into the NT kernel, so it has an opportunity to use BIOS calls and copy drivers to the install partition?-f0dder (July 16, 2009, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's official....I'm senile  :-[

None of the SPs enable XP to use a flash drive.

I must have mis-remembered between my USB flash drive and USB floppy drive.  My only defense is it's been a couple of years since I have had to use the F6 method - obviously alcohol destroyed those brain cells that had the requisite information.

Back under my rock for now but I'm still almost positive I've seen this work on one of my boards - I wish I still had that AsRock motherboard to test with.

mrHappy:
does anyone know exactly how and what I need to do to slipstream the chipset driver using nlite?

Bought an Asus p5ql pro board and am trying to do the streaming part, but I have no idea of what to do.
I have no idea of what inf file I should choose when integrating drivers.

4wd:
Bought an Asus p5ql pro board and am trying to do the streaming part, but I have no idea of what to do.
I have no idea of what inf file I should choose when integrating drivers.-mrHappy (July 23, 2009, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) Start nlite and point it to your XP CD or the directory you've copied the files to, then click 'Next'.
2) Select 'Drivers' and 'Bootable ISO', then click 'Next'.
3) Select 'Insert Multiple Driver Folder' and point it at the directory that has the extracted P5QL SATA driver.  It will add all drivers in that directory - don't worry, upon installation any drivers that aren't required won't be installed.
4) Click 'Next' then answer 'Yes' to start the process.
5) Give your ISO a label, (top left, 2nd down), and click 'Make ISO', save the ISO somewhere.
6) Burn the ISO to a disc using whatever you like, (nlite can do it but I prefer ImgBurn).
7) Job Done.

Alternatively, using DriverPacks:
a) Grab the MassStorage DriverPack from here, (current version 9.01).
b) Grab the DriverPack BASE program from here, (current version 8.12.5).
c) Extract and run the DPs_BASE.exe, it'll create a directory structure - copy the MassStorage DriverPack to the DriverPacks directory, (don't extract the DriverPack).
d) Click the '>' button in the BASE program until you get to 'Select location of platform' panel - Browse to the HDD directory containing the copied XP CD.
e) Click '>' and select 'DriverPack MassStorage 9.01' and 'DriverPack MassStorage text mode', (or Select  All).
f) Click '>' and select 'Method 1'.
g) You can now leave the rest at default and just click the 'Slipstream!' button if you're using a bog-standard uncustomised XP install, (no extra programs installed at installation time).
h) The final XP directory can be turned into a CD using nlite and just the 'Bootable ISO' button.
i) You now have a XP CD that will install on almost any IDE/SATA controller, no matter what mode the SATA may be in, (IDE Compat, AHCI or RAID).

mrHappy:
Thanks, will give that a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version