ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Generic.dx Trojan

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dirhael:
Your best bet in situations such as this is to use a service such as the excellent VirusTotal to check the file. It will scan your file with just about every AV engine on the market, for free no less. You can then use this information to make a judgment on whether or not the file is safe (you will be presented with the result from all engines). The easiest way (at least I think so) is to use their tiny uploader utility to send the file to them. All you have to do is right-click the file, and select the uploader from your send-to menu. When it's uploaded, it'll open your browser with the results. Couldn't be simpler :)

Oh, and remember to disable your resident AV protection while doing this, as you really don't want the file deleted/quarantined automatically.

Mystic-One:
Word! I used virustotal.com, and it said the file was clean....So I dont understand why my VS says there was a generic.dx trojan...I dont know which to trust..lol

Dirhael:
Word! I used virustotal.com, and it said the file was clean....So I dont understand why my VS says there was a generic.dx trojan...I dont know which to trust..lol
-Mystic-One (July 13, 2009, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

If VirusTotal says the file is clean, then I'd say listen to them. False positives is a problem with all AV programs, so to get a second opinion from other vendors is always a good idea. Especially when the detection is of the generic kind, like the one you're having :)

lanux128:
what is your graphics card, have you tried updating them? and what is the exact error message?

try posting in the publisher's forums like this one. here is one thread with probable solutions: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=41038

Mystic-One:
Thank you all for your help! What an awesome site! I appreciate you all being so willing to help someone like me(a video game nerd with NO programming knowledge..lol) I'll keep ya'll updated!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version