topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 'Time stamping' sound recorder  (Read 4976 times)

markfoley

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
'Time stamping' sound recorder
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:50 PM »
I'm hoping one of the DC guru's might know of a tool like this. 

I use abstractspoon's free 'todolist' for all my tasks, and keep notes in it.  When key things happen in a meeting (like everyone agrees with something) I hit Ctrl-D which puts a date/time stamp in my notes.

In onenote (which I don't use), it keeps your sound file synchronised to your notes so when you click on a spot in the notes, it jumps to what was being said when you were typing that word.  That's very cool, but onenote doesn't appeal much other than that.

I'd like to get something similar happening.  So I'd like to record sounds for meetings but be able to 'jump to a time' (ie 2:34pm, not 12mins into the sound file).  If the tool could create and accept URL style links that could be clicked to play the sound from a point on, that would be a nice to have.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks all!

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 'Time stamping' sound recorder
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:36 PM »
You have looked at the perfectnotes posts in the notes thread?

markfoley

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:18 PM »
Hi Dormouse,

Thanks for the reply mate.  Yes I did, but I can't give up the 'task oriented' style of todolist for the benefit of the time stamping.  It kind of needs to be a 'tray' tool so they both run at the same time and you can mark points in whatever notetaking app is needed.  I think trying to replicate the features of the chosen notetakers of everyone would be a quick path to madness... :)

perfectnotes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • PerfectNotes Note Taking Software
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Just FYI, a new version of PerfectNotes has been released.

PerfectNotes lets you bookmark your audio file just like the post by markfoley mentioned. You make bookmarks as you go, whenever you hear something you want to come back to. Then whenever you have time, just click your bookmark and hear it again. It makes it so much easier to jump around the audio file. Plus, you have an instant visualization of not only what you wanted to hear again (your bookmarks), but a visualization of when people were talking along with markers showing what you typed. It's all put together on one timeline.

You can also be anywhere in your notes, click a button, and it will instantly load the audio file to the general time when you made those notes. So you can look at your bookmarks to see what you wanted to come back to, or at any time you are confused on your notes, you can click a button and hear what was said.

You don't have to take notes in PerfectNotes either. You can set it to record and then minimize it. You can be using any other application, and when you hear something you want to bookmark, you can then click on PerfectNotes, make a bookmark, and minimize again.

A lot of people have found it to be a great note taking tool. It's pretty amazing being able to just click and hear what was said. Feel free to try the demo, available from www.PerfectNotes.com.