ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Post Your Funny Videos Here [NSFW]

<< < (28/33) > >>

nosh:
No no! I meant it as a metaphor for the reaction a fanboy post would receive here (post=garbage, reaction=fire)... guess I just tried to sneak a non-funny post in here.  :)

IainB:
Ah, I understand now.

40hz:
An Apple Fanboy post being made on DC (realtime reaction):
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a94_1340566754
-nosh (June 25, 2012, 05:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting. That's a LiveLeaks vid: That's what happens if a box of garbage falls into a volcano lake
Couldn't we dispose of all our garbage like this?
-IainB (June 25, 2012, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

There was a company some time back that Inc. Magazine wrote up that was going to introduce a new type of incinerator. It used a superheated molten metal core. It supposedly incinerated just about anything put into it with virtually no residue or pollution since the burn was so complete. Wonder whatever happened to it...

IainB:
An Apple Fanboy post being made on DC (realtime reaction):
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a94_1340566754
-nosh (June 25, 2012, 05:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting. That's a LiveLeaks vid: That's what happens if a box of garbage falls into a volcano lake
Couldn't we dispose of all our garbage like this?
-IainB (June 25, 2012, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

There was a company some time back that Inc. Magazine wrote up that was going to introduce a new type of incinerator. It used a superheated molten metal core. It supposedly incinerated just about anything put into it with virtually no residue or pollution since the burn was so complete. Wonder whatever happened to it...
-40hz (June 26, 2012, 06:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interested, I had to spend a bit of time googling this. Hard info seems scarce for some reason. I came up lots of info on Uganda, but only general feel-good stuff like this direct reference:
Uganda's Makerere University technologists invent papyrus-based sanitary protection

Summary:
Moses Kizza Musaazi (+others?) of Uganda's Makerere University invented a method to produce papyrus-based sanitary protection pads.
The cost and mess associated with menstruation was apparently a signal factor in holding back Ugandan girls from attending school in some areas.
Musaazi's production process led to very cheap sanitary pads being able to be made from freely available local flax, and his design of a "3-chamber incinerator" enabled the convenient incineration of the used pads, "and other materials".
So Musaazi had evidently looked at issues affecting all aspects - from need, to production and safe/hygenic disposal - of the life-cycle for sanitary pads.

I could not find a description of the incinerator design, but it would presumably need to be a low-cost low-energy affair, otherwise it would probably not be economically viable in Uganda - which seems to be energy-poor and economically impoverished.
The World Bank data shows it is climbing back from being a major economic basket-case, is in a growth phase, and has repaid a lot of loans, following disastrous rule under Idi AMin and then civil war.
It is riven with corruption. The incumbent president is Yoweri Museveni, Commander of the National Resistance Army, who has been president since 26 January 1986. Oh yes, it's a democracy too... Yeah, right.

From Wikipedia:
The country has largely untapped reserves of both crude oil and natural gas.
--- End quote ---
There would presumably be a reason for a poverty-ridden country keeping all that potentially realisable fossil fuel-energy wealth stuck under the ground, but one can only speculate what that might be.

IainB:
Kickstarter Highlight: The Onion's revealing documentary - https://mashable.com/2012/06/26/onion-tech-trends/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version