ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mobysaurus V2 -encyclopedic, authoritative free English thesaurus and dictionary

<< < (2/2)

Wordzilla:
Looks really nice ...

Can I just ask as it isn't mentioned anywhere, are these entirely US spelling versions or does it include standard English spellings (ie. UK)
-Carol Haynes (December 24, 2005, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry Carol, I don't think it includes standard English speelings. The databases are all provided by Americans, I think.

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm ... Roget's Thesaurus was actually produced in the UK ... any chance of including support for an open source UK dictionary if we can find one?

Interesting biography on Dr Peter Mark Roget here. As well as publishing his Thesaurus, he seems to have discovered the principle of persistence of vision and published a paper along with Joseph Plateau and Michael Faraday in 1820, the basis for the later movie industry !!!

Wordzilla:
King's / Queen's English is always respectful, though I sometimes think UK spellings may seem a bit redundant. I'm all for your idea., and I'd love to add support for UK spellings or even produce an entirely UK version. However until now I could not find any open source UK dictionary or thesaurus that I'd be sure users would like.

Yes, Dr Peter Mark Roget is a genius Englishman, and Roget's Thesaurus was ORIGINALLY produced in the UK. The popular public domain database of Dr Roget's fantastic work was actually digitized from the 1911 US Edition of Roget's Thesaurus. One glaring evidence is Title 428 ("Color") in his thesaurus.

Hats off to Dr P M Roget!

mouser:
anyone interested in the men behind making dictionaries needs to read this book:
"The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of The Oxford English Dictionary "

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006099486X

Miles:
Yes, it's a fascinating tale. Also published by Pelican as "The Surgeon of Crowthorne".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version