topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Map a Drive via SFTP  (Read 13061 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Map a Drive via SFTP
« on: March 18, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Just found this, read some positive reviews and have not tested it myself.  The reviews I read pretty much say that "it just works."  Kind of a cool concept.  WinDrive seems to be the free competetion, but is not on par with reliability and speed.

Map your SSH server as a Windows network drive with SftpDrive. Our SFTP file system network enables all your Windows applications.

Don't drag and drop. Don't transfer back and forth. Just use your network files directly from your applications. Keeping track of which version of your project is on the server and on your PC is annoying. Ease the pain by just editing the project right on your server. Perfect for any web developer or programmer that runs Windows, but relies on Linux. SftpDrive network-enables all your Windows applications by enabling you to map your SSH server as a network drive.
- their site: www.sftpdrive.com

http://www.sftpdrive.com
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Map a Drive via SFTP
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Sounds pretty interesting...
- carpe noctem

ToxMox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 10:07 AM »
It's unfortunate that there are no freeware apps to do this.  WebDrive does this too and is also $40.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:18 AM »
maybe we should try to get a discount on this.
Webdrive's license is valid for one year of updates.maybe we should try to get a discount on this.
Webdrive's license is valid for one year of updates.

I'm testing both right now, and Webdrive has a load of features that sftpdrive
doesn't (e.g. incremental backups, webDAP support) and it feels a lot snappier.
One nice thing about sftpdrive is that you can assign icons to your webdrives,
and that it doesn't download all files locally.

Unfortunately the price is now $54 for one year.

I'd get it if there was a discount...

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:07 PM »
I'm so lame... I thought I posted about this great alternative.  :-[

WinSCP3 http://winscp.net does almost as good as sftpdrive.  What it does not do is map a drive.
What it does do, is let you connect in a Norton Commander like interface and do almost exactly the same things.  Copy, move, edit, rename, delete, etc. etc. via SSH. 

Best of all.... IT'S TOTALLY FREE!  :o  :D  :Thmbsup:

here's the screenshot  :)

PS: I tried to get a discount on sftpdrive.  They replied quickly and said they'd love to help, but aren't yet in a position to offer discounts.
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Ok, today I found I really need something like this, I think.
Does anyone know any free/open software for windows that can map a drive letter to an sftp folder?

(@rover: I already use winscp for other stuff, but I need the mapping to be able to edit code remotelly)

ps: I found this thread while searching google. I guess I should have come here first :P

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:45 PM »
It sounds good, but 40$ seems more than I would like to pay for such thing, not that I do not appreciate the work but the economy is tight.

edit:
I emailed them and it looks like windows version supports only sftp which is even worse for me because mac users can use it for other ftp protocols for the same price. If you are on windows you get only sftp for 40$

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:05 PM by kartal »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Seems like if you want something like this AND require drive letter mapping there are only two products capable of this.

SFTPDrive is now called ExpanDrive. I checked out the Mac product page and the video showing off the Mac features looked really cool.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:50 PM »
yeah mac stuff is maybe cool but I hardly use Mac :)  On the other hand I do not understand the reasoning behind selling a stripped down version of the software for the same price. Why should I as a Windows user pay the same price to get only one(sftp) of the features ? The I would need to buy another software to map ftp so forth. It makes no sense to me. Either they should provide full featured application for the same price or they should just stop selling it until they have a full version.

There are couple other ftp drive mapping ones but I do not think they support sftp so far. Netdrive and ftpdrive are the ones I tried in the past.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 12:00 PM »
kartal,
I noticed that the Mac version of the software is v2.0 while the PC version is just at v1.83 so hopefully that means the missing features on the PC side will be coming if/when they release a v2.0 for the PC especially now that they have changed the product name to match the Mac version.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 12:24 PM »
The ExpanDrive people have definitely been working much more dilligently on the Mac version of the product.  They've indicated that they are planning to move the Mac features over to the Windows product, but that process has been very, very slow so far.

I'd say to try it out and buy it if it meets your needs *today* - don't buy on speculation of additional features in future versions.  If and when they do add the newer features (I think the main ones are FTP and Amazon S3 support) to the Windows product, I suspect they are likely to ask for an upgrade fee (they did on the Mac side; I see no reason why they wouldn't on the Windows side).

For me, the big plus of SFPTDrive/ExpanDrive over WebDrive is that ExpanDrive is licensed on a user basis, while WebDrive is tied to a machine.

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:07 PM »
There is free program that does this called NetDrive (http://www.netdrive.net/). Unfortunately, it is no longer being developed, but is a great piece of software. It was recently covered at Download Squad. It maps an FTP server and shows it as a hard drive in My Computer. Note that NetDrive is not Vista 64-bit compatible.
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!