ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

When in a quandry seek advice from the experts

<< < (2/2)

daveqt:
Hi Mouser,

Just been talking with Microsoft on whether VB 4 can be upgraded to Visual Studio 2008. They assured that it can however when searching for the upgrade literature I read that this was a big NO NO due to minor language changes but mainly due to .NET platform used. Do you know who is correct

Ehtyar:
In order that you might avoid the same outdated language issue that you're currently effected by, might I suggest a more heavily used language than VB.NET? Developers are fleeing VB.NET in droves for the power, consistency and familiarity of C#.

Where code maintainability and longevity are of primary concern, it can be advantageous to go with the more... dare i say, popular, languages.

Ehtyar.

daveqt:
Thanks Ehytar,

Never considered another language mainly because VB talks in English therefore so much easier for an old fellow to understand

Ehtyar:
C# is almost as verbose as VB.NET, but you'll find it is far more powerful, which will make coding much easier in the end IMHO. You should also find it very easy to pick up if you have even a passing familiarity with VB.NET. As an added bonus, reasonably simple projects will also run/compile on MAC and Linux under Mono.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version