ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Life with Linux: The series ... [Bob Sutor, IBM]

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
zaine with all the great posts you share with us, surely you are allowed a clunker or two occasionally  ;D

Innuendo:
Zaine, like I said in my post...my comments were not meant to discredit you or even to disagree with you. My problems were with the posts on the blog.

1) In today's post-print world I think blog posts can be considered articles. I'm sorry if my classification as such didn't sit well with you. I referred to them as articles as I wanted to convey that I was treating his words with respect. In retrospect, I suppose I could have referred to these posts as ramblings on a blog, but I think that would have struck you even worse than the word articles did.

2) I'm sorry I neglected to attribute the original words to Mossberg, but Sutor agreed with the supposition put forth by Mossberg & built on top of it without even knowing if what Mossberg said was true. I'll retract my comment on calling it a diatribe and replace that thought with him pushing forward a personal agenda instead.

3) I could have posted my comments on his blog, but seems very much a Linux fanatic/zealot so I doubt my words would have fallen on anything but deaf ears. Besides, if he doesn't know that life with an operating system goes beyond just installing apps after the OS installs then he has bigger problems than any comment I could make would cure. As to why I posted them here, you brought the series of posts to light here so that's where I posted my reaction to them.

Thank you for taking the time to count the words in my post. It's comforting to know that someone pays that much attention to my word count, but with all due respect Zaine, and I mean this sincerely, with all due respect, I know you love Linux. I know you don't like Windows. I know you are going to continue to take the time to post about what you like and use.

That's great. No, really. That's great because you must have missed in my post where I distinctly stated that I usually enjoy your posts about Linux. I enjoy everyone's posts about Linux provided they have content. This post of yours did not so I didn't enjoy it, but it's not your fault. It's Sutor's.  Your usually insightful posts on Linux relied on Sutor's empty words this time.

Now, if you were personally offended by my reply then I do apologize. I am sorry as that was not my intent at all. I was all set for some high-quality Linux musings like you usually bring to the table and all I walked away with was a guy trying to get his apps installed after a fresh install of an OS.

I will admit that I did see one comment in his series of posts that does bear repeating. Linux needs to quit trying to look like Windows & start pulling the good ideas from OS X. Even better yet, Linux needs to strike out on its own and set its look apart from other OSes.

And I'll try to re-iterate this one point one more time before I close. I enjoy your posts, Zaine. Linux is under-represented here & we could use more people expressing the Linux side of the story as it can only make computing more enjoyable for all platforms.

However, I just did not like Life With Linux. At all. Sutor's name is attached to those posts not yours so don't take my 531 words of criticism personally because you had nothing to do with the failings of those blog posts.

mouser:
I think it's worth saying that I think it was useful for Innuendo to post here with his negative view of the linked series, just because it puts them into perspective when you go read them -- to know that maybe this isn't the best intro to linux.

urlwolf:
Personal opinion follows...
Yes, the thing is that negative feedback is useful (I think).
I religiously read everything Zaine posts here.
I always like it.
Since he has 'clout', I keep reading every single article from sutor, not believing that they were just fluff.
If I find something that Zaine has missed, it's my duty to give him feedback ASAP.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version