ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox --3.5-- Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (8/16) > >>

MilesAhead:
I just ran across this Firefox 3.x search plugin generator.  It's easy to use.  I just made a search plugin for a movie review site in a few minutes:

Firefox search plugin generator

:Thmbsup:

housetier:
If such a site has a search field, I use the keyworded bookmark feature from FF: just right-click in the field and select "Add a keyword for this search", give it a name and a keyword, preferably a short one.

Since the awesome bar also searches your bookmarks you can now directly open search results: just type in the keyword, a space, and the search term as you would enter them in the input field, and finally hit enter.

Of course this does not add anything to list of search engines... however, I never used that extra input field anyway, since I am much quicker typing "keyword search terms<enter>" than "ctrl+k search terms, click to select engine, <enter>". The bookmark-approach works very well with the almighty vimperator  :Thmbsup:

However, some sites such as denic.de have built their search form thus you need javascript to submit it. I find this very bad behavior, and it breaks the keyword search...

justice:

Another thumbs up for Update Notifier, it updates addons in the background without the annoying restart / update notifications (tick the install and untick the alert preference to make this happen)

Innuendo:
justice,
Unticking the alert preference in Update Notifier isn't necessary as the only alert you get is the little indicator in the upper right hand corner goes from gray to orange. No annoying dialogs pop up at all.

This, coupled with Download Statusbar, keeps unwanted Firefox dialog boxes at bay.

MilesAhead:
housetier I haven't tried the keyword search, but I like to use Context Search that uses the search engine list.  I can highlight a word or name and search a Wiki or dictionary or whatnot.  It can be set to open the result in a new tab in the background. A frequent search is IMDB or I can check spelling of words that aren't in the built-in spell check dictionary using a free online dictionary.  The generator form is cool for sites that don't have a prefabricated search plugin yet.

Of course for quick and dirty there's always the google 'site' keyword to search a particular domain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version