ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Torrent Giant, The Pirate Bay sold, will go legal

<< < (8/12) > >>

johnk:
Just quickly, I don't appreciate the hijacking of this thread, nor do I imagine anyone else does. Unless your replies directly relate to the subject of this thread, please take them elsewhere.
-Ehtyar (July 01, 2009, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

With respect to Loki15 and Ehtyar, I don't think the thread was hijacked -- I think all posts were on topic.

Loki15's original post was about TPB "going legal", and how sad that was because it is the best torrent site.

Some of us disagree, and will be glad when all the torrent sites go legal. Perhaps the most worrying thing about the internet (for me) is the fact that millions of young people now seem to think that stealing is acceptable. It's not, and never will be. Stealing films is not acceptable, stealing Photoshop is not acceptable. It is a crime. That needs to be said every time someone defends torrent sites (excluding the small percentage of people who only use torrent sites for legal purposes)

I think I'll bow out of this thread now.

Loki15:
John, I never implied stealing was okay.  Especially stealing for ones own gain.  Not everything on a torrent site is illegal, you can find legal things as well.  TV shows, not sure if they are legal? Ubuntu, little things like that.

I respect your opinion and you raise a valid argument.  I mean absolutely no dis respect towards you at all.  I thank you for your intellectual opinions, I wholeheartedly do.

johnk:
I mean absolutely no dis respect towards you at all.
-Loki15 (July 02, 2009, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Likewise, Loki. No disrespect intended to you either. I think this thread has actually been in the best DC traditions -- posters have been polite and respectful to other members.

Lashiec:
Or how soon a compromise will be reached for all kinds of media - something like Spotify has (apparently) done for music. Any Spotify users here who can vouch for how good or annoying it is?
-nosh (July 02, 2009, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm completely sold on Spotify. I no longer have to hit the torrent sites to hear new music, since their catalogue is enormous, although it still lacks (and will probably lack forever) certain groups (The Beatles, Metallica, Pink Floyd...), as well as many independent groups (local efforts, mind you), and certain albums or artists due to regional restrictions (just off the top of my head, this includes Foo Fighters "In Your Honor", Katie Melua and Lady Gaga. A great loss not to be able to hear the latter, for sure :-P).

The sound quality is outstanding (Vorbis at q5, ~160 kbps, for all effects completely transparent), and premium users (10 € per month) can go up to Vorbis at q9 (~320 kbps). Spotify runs almost unnoticed by me, while the free accounts are ad-supported (using banners in the program interface, and sound ads roughly every 20 minutes between songs), you can minimize the program in the system tray and thus only have to suffer through the sound ads. The only thing that you could call annoying is its reliance on the BitTorrent protocol to ease the load on their own distribution servers, since it's non configurable, a while ago I had several speed problems with web browsing probably due to high use of my upload bandwidth, though I've not experienced anything similar in a while.

Plus it has has some nice perks included. Volume normalization and Last.FM scrobbling included in the program for all users, and certain niceties for paying users (albums available before they are released, just like any torrent site :-P, and ticket giveaways for concerts). While is not enough for me to consider paying for it (with 120 € a year I can easily buy more than 20 albums with no restrictions included), it certainly is pretty nice. I mean, the first time I heard about it I signed up without giving it a second thought, which hardly is a normal thing for me :-D

</ad></offtopic> ;D

nosh:
A great loss not to be able to hear the latter, for sure :-P
--- End quote ---

Awww! Poor you!  ;D

Thanks for the feedback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version