ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Torrent Giant, The Pirate Bay sold, will go legal

(1/12) > >>

Loki15:
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-sold-to-software-company-goes-legal-090630/

Today is a sad day, for me at least.  Anyone familiar with torrents should know about The Pirate Bay.  It was in my opinion, the only torrent site worth a damn I could find.  According to news reports, TPB has been sold to the software company Global Gaming Factory X.  I believe the term "to go legal" means they will charge for downloads...

“We would like to introduce models which entail that content providers and copyright owners get paid for content that is downloaded via the site,” said Hans Pandeya, CEO GGF.
--- End quote ---
Content creators and providers need to control their content and get paid for it. File sharers’ need faster downloads and better quality
--- End quote ---

In other words, we pay for what we download.  We also pay for high quality downloads, which we found at TPB for FREE.  I understand their reasoning to an extent, but I never saw the day TPB would sell out.. It's truly a sad, sad day.

4wd:
Guess I'll have to finish those *cough* Linux distros *cough* I was downloading a bit earlier than planned.

Loki15:
Hahah 4wd :P

Loki15:
Another scary thought, Nahuel (scancode) told me this earlier
The BitTorrent meltdown will not happen. The Pirate Bay is tracking about half of the world’s torrent files, meaning that the site’s tracker servers facilitate the downloads of these files by letting users know who is sharing which bits and pieces. Researchers rang the alarm bells a few months back that shutting down the site’s tracker servers would severely impact sites like Mininova that make use of the Pirate Bay’s infrastructure.
--- End quote ---

Ehtyar:
I hold absolutely nothing against the TPB operators for selling the place. Standing up for what you believe in is a wonderful thing, but it needs to stop when it starts to ruin your life. Good on them for quitting while they were ahead.

Having said that though...this sucks!! TPB was awesome :( On the other hand, it's satisfying knowing that the guys who bought it probably have less of clue than your average internet user about how to accomplish what they intend to, so the site will end up being nothing more than a fond memory for the people who used it in its heyday.

RIP TPB

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version