ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Torrent Giant, The Pirate Bay sold, will go legal

<< < (9/12) > >>

Gothi[c]:
First of all, below is personal view, I don't claim any as fact, which is something that should be stressed more often I think...

Piracy (at sea) is a crime.
Depending on where you are, I think downloading copyrighted stuff is not. It's a felony at most, unless something changed recently... (ianal)

Does that mean infringing copyright OK all the time? no.
Does that mean it's OK sometimes? probably.

There's no black and white in this. Only gray. With lots of propaganda from both sides. Gosh, it's just as bad as politics. Then again, most of it IS politics. Stay clear! :)

I'm just saying it's way too easy to adopt terminology that is carefully inserted by the big players with marketing money to mold opinions of the masses.

It is quite obvious that copyright law as it is, is not in sync with the real world. And the playing field is corporations with big bucks versus people without big bucks (after all, if they had the money, they'd be more likely to pay for the software). It's also quite obvious that there's something wrong with never paying for software by a small independent starving lone developer if you DO have the money to support them (which goes for BOTH payware AND Free software!).

We need people like TPB who, eventhough they might be on the other extreme of the argument, at least stand up for their rights against the giants for the sake of all of us.

And more on topic, the fact that they are donating the money exactly for that cause is probably way better than them getting sued into oblivion.

:two:

wraith808:
Piracy (at sea) is a crime.
Depending on where you are, I think downloading copyrighted stuff is not. It's a felony at most, unless something changed recently... (ianal)
-Gothi[c] (July 02, 2009, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... isn't a felony a crime?

And while I do agree with civil disobedience, the conscience that drives that should be so that obviously criminal actions aren't enabled or condoned.  I just hope that this step wrt TPB allows them to get some semblance of their lives back, and perhaps sparks them to try a more legal direction towards changing DRM.  You don't really change legal statutes by going outside of the law in the arrogant way that they did, but I also recognize that obsequious acquiescence isn't going to get us anywhere either...

It's definitely a pickle...

40hz:
It's definitely a pickle...
-wraith808 (July 02, 2009, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

The sad part is, regardless of how it all plays out, it will still be "business as usual" for the musicians out there.

The only difference will be who ends up burning them this time around: the record companies-or their fans.

Maybe that's why most bands have flat-out declined to be drawn into this debate?

And so it goes... :-\

Loki15:
Im trying to understand how they can go legal.. Like, yeah maybe 2$ (Idk the actual price, but I'm just guessing) for an album is fine.  But if Adobe Photoshop (and other software) torrents exist, how can it be worth the companies time?  Why would Adobe want the small small cut of what TPB gets preferred to the large cut (pure profit) they get from their sale?

40hz:
We need people like TPB who, eventhough they might be on the other extreme of the argument, at least stand up for their rights against the giants for the sake of all of us.
-Gothi[c] (July 02, 2009, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Except they didn't, really. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version