ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Torrent Giant, The Pirate Bay sold, will go legal

<< < (4/12) > >>

Loki15:
From TPB blog:
Idealism is not dead: The profits from the sale will go into a foundation that is going to help with projects about freedom of speech, freedom of information and the openess of the nets. I hope everybody will help out in that and realize that this is the best option for all. Don't worry - be happy!

--- End quote ---
-Gothi[c] (July 01, 2009, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

But sadly, I have a feeling TPB will lost most of their users.  Its inevitable, TPB was an amazing site, but it wasn't one of a kind.  With sites like demonoid and mininova people will just make the transition.  Paying for content from TPB would be like buying a pound of apples at the market when you could walk down the road, and pick the apples from a tree, that are of the same quality.  I would love to see TPB thrive.. But at the same time, I don't wish to see Global Gaming Factory X thrive.  TPB was started for the people, Global Gaming Factory X just wants the money out of the deal..

40hz:
From TPB blog:
I hope everybody will help out in that and realize that this is the best option for all. Don't worry - be happy!

--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

Works for me! That's exactly what we told our cat just before we took him to the vet for a certain 'minor surgical procedure.'  :P

Loki15:
From TPB blog:
I hope everybody will help out in that and realize that this is the best option for all. Don't worry - be happy!

--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

Works for me! That's exactly what we told our cat just before we took him to the vet for a certain 'minor surgical procedure.'  :P

-40hz (July 01, 2009, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well put :D

I hope everybody will help out in that and realize that this is the best option for all. Don't worry - We're just gonna chop your nuts off and make you pay for the same shit you got for free a few months ago! But really don't worry, it only stings a little! Hell we got our's cut off right before we decided to sell the company!
--- End quote ---

Edvard:
Back then the saying was: "I didn't sell out - I got smart and bought in."

--- End quote ---

Oh noo...  :sick: /me gets the sick bucket...

johnk:
I never understood what TPB crew believed in. Any time I saw them interviewed,  the argument seemed to be "everything should be free for everyone", or "it's there, I want it, I don't have to pay for it, I'll take it".

Which is, of course, no argument at all. Now on the other hand...

IF:

* They had taken the trouble to validate the quality of every download made available, and
* charged torrent users a "reasonable fee" (let's say 25c for the sake of argument) for each illegal film download, and
* given every penny to the film companies, saying "this is what we think a film download is worth"....
then I might have had more time for them. I still wouldn't have agreed with what they do, but it would have been some form of argument, something to debate. And the film companies would have had some revenue stream for their product, however small. Instead, the torrent sites just facilitate theft. Where's the nobility in that?

And for the record, I find it very odd that many people is this thread seem to support TPB, whereas in other threads DC members always urge each other to support shareware developers by paying up. What's different?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version