ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Advice on Netbooks

<< < (2/9) > >>

4wd:
Also for the Aspire One: macles*, 30 Cool Aspire One Hacks and AAOWiki (German).

I also have an AAO, more precisely the AOA-110-Ab which is the 512MB, 8GB SSD based Linpus version in a very nice metallic blue.  Since upgraded to 1.5GB RAM + XP Pro.  This travelled with me during my recent South America/Antarctic/Turkey trip and always worked without a problem, (and if I'd had a few more I could have sold them all at a profit on the ship).

Of all the netbooks available last year, the AAO was considered one of the best, (probably because it's so easy to hack), normally only beaten by the Samsung NC10.

I find the 8.9" screen pretty much perfect for what it's designed to do and as mrainey said, it is sharp and clear - any bigger and I'd probably just get a 13.3" notebook with a lot more grunt at only 1kg heavier.

The SSD that they included with it is an absolute dog wrt to read/write speed - do yourself a favour and get the HDD version.

The 3-cell battery will last approx. 2.25 hours ex. WiFi or 2 hours inc. WiFi.  The charger they supply is lightweight but the mains lead for it is both bulkier and weighs more.  You can, however, now get wall-wart type PSUs for the AAO as well as lighter socket type PSUs, (as opposed to the normal brick type for lighter sockets).

The mousepad buttons are in a rather strange place, off to either side of the pad rather than below but most people end up using a wireless/Bluetooth, (I use a MS 5000 Bluetooth), mouse with them anyway so it's not that big an issue.

Given a choice of all the current netbooks available, would I buy it again ?

Yes, although I'd probably get the HDD version.

I've posted about it a couple of other times here on DC, mainly in regard to using EWF on it:
SSD File System Recommendations
alternatives to firstDefense ISR

wraith808:
What kind of development work is that?
--- End quote ---

I do this kind of stuff.

http://closetolerancesoftware.com/index.html
-mrainey (June 29, 2009, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

So standard Win32 development?  What IDE do you use?

mrainey:
What IDE do you use?
--- End quote ---

My language of choice is Emergence BASIC.  I do all my coding with UltraEdit, so don't really use an IDE.

wraith808:
That's pretty cool stuff for BASIC.  :Thmbsup:

justice:
If you choose the Acer Aspire One please don't go for the SSD model but choose one with a regular harddisk inside. Not because of the much larger storage space but because the SSD's in the AAO are painfully slow in writing (acer turns off the swap file by default!). I had to buy a 4gb memorycard and ebooster to get it running slightly quicker but not nearly as quick as the model my colleague has. Search the Acer Aspire One user forums and you'll see I'm not alone.

Ah 4wd said the same thing ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version