ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

free scaled down word replacment

(1/9) > >>

techidave:
I have a teacher that doesn't like all the bells and whistles of Word 2003.  Is there a free replacement that just does basic word processing?  Perhaps AbiWord or something like that?

Dave

rsatrioadi:
AbiWord sure is, but for the most basic word processing you can always use (in windows) WordPad.

tsaint:
I have a teacher that doesn't like all the bells and whistles of Word 2003.  Is there a free replacement that just does basic word processing?  Perhaps AbiWord or something like that?

Dave
-techidave (June 25, 2009, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
What "bells and whistles" do you mean? Or do you mean a light on resources, relatively small hard drive footprint? I ask because Kingsoft had a very nice free Office replacement which worked very well. Most of the time I prefer using it to either Office 2003 or 2007, which I get (legitimately) free from school

lanux128:
i also use Kingsoft Office and i find it quite lightweight when it comes to resources. however if you're just looking to replace Microsoft Word 2003 and don't mind creating documents in RTF format, then try Atlantis.

btw, this might be an overkill but you can also refer to Zaine's excellent review on word processors.

tomos:
. . for the most basic word processing you can always use (in windows) WordPad.
-rsatrioadi (June 25, 2009, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jarte is based on wordpad, but much better in terms of features
I used it a while and the only thing I missed was the ability to see the individual pages (is it standard view in word?)

edit/ they may (or may not) enjoy Jarte's quite different GUI (best to switch to 'Classic Layout' though as default may be too minimal). Another plus: no install - just unzip)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version