ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need NAS Enclosure recommendation

<< < (8/9) > >>

Tuxman:
Sounds like a few hundred € are needed anyway. Thank you for the details. Currently the HDD is, basically, used with one CAT5 cable and carried up- and downstairs if needed.

;D

Stoic Joker:
If you only have one WiFi device then perhaps a pair of HomePlug units, (at least the 85Mbps versions), might be suitable to increase throughput between it and the router, (assuming suitable electrical house wiring of course), the price of them has been progressively dropping and the 85Mbps units will be cheaper than the HomePlug AV 200Mbps versions.-4wd (January 15, 2010, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Being a big fan of PowerLine networking (Company that invented it is here in my home town), I'd like to second this suggestion. I've had great luck with it in the past even with the old origional 10-14Mb units. These devices are idiot simple to setup & reliable as a hammer.

4wd:
I've had great luck with it in the past even with the old origional 10-14Mb units.-Stoic Joker (January 15, 2010, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

What kind of throughput did you get?

I'm thinking of replacing the only WiFi linked computer with a pair of HomePlug units.

Stoic Joker:
I've had great luck with it in the past even with the old original 10-14Mb units.-Stoic Joker (January 15, 2010, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

What kind of throughput did you get?

I'm thinking of replacing the only WiFi linked computer with a pair of HomePlug units.
-4wd (January 16, 2010, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
While I don't have specific numbers (it's been awhile), assuming that the building has at least half way descent wiring... You get what you pay for. Our office building was originally divided up into smaller (Boutique) shops (we have the whole complex now), so the wiring has been shall we say butchered (this was the test environment). I used 2 of the original 14Mb units to add 3 workstations in the service department. The service techs routinely accessed the server for pdf manuals (5-30MB in size) drivers, and our (rather bandwidth intensive) order tracking software (which is not exactly written well IMO) without any hiccups.

I finally got the time to pull the cable for the service department so everybody is now hard wired at 100Mb but the speed improvement (vs. usage requirement) was negligible. The owners of the company now use the units at their home as a replacement for a badly unstable WiFi solution (stucco kills WiFi every time) and they're thrilled with it.

f0dder:
I finally got the time to pull the cable for the service department so everybody is now hard wired at 100Mb-Stoic Joker (January 16, 2010, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
only 100Mb? If you took the effort required to run cabling, I hope you ran at least cat-5e :)

How fast does HomePlug go these days? I thought they were up to around 200Mb/s, at least by specification... I wonder how fast you can go, though - probably depends not only on the quality of your power cable wiring, but also how clean voltage is supplied by your power company?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version