ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need NAS Enclosure recommendation

<< < (5/9) > >>

Tuxman:
Something loosely related:

I bought an external WD hard drive recently, my WLAN router only supports USB 1.1 however, so using it is a pain. What would be the cheapest way to bring the HD with USB 2.0 into my network? Is there some "USB hard disk to WLAN adapter", or should I upgrade my router? (About 100 Euros for a suitable model seems to be quite much to me.)

4wd:
What would be the cheapest way to bring the HD with USB 2.0 into my network? Is there some "USB hard disk to WLAN adapter", or should I upgrade my router?-Tuxman (January 14, 2010, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

How about US$50?

Addonics NAS adapter.

Or, if you want Gb then Addonics NAS Adapter V2 for US$60.

Or, a Linksys NSLU2.

With the NSLU2 there are alternative firmwares available, see References section in Wikipediaw.

There's also the Hitachi SimpleNET adapter for US$68 on Amazon, (which looks like the Addonics NAS Adapter V2).

Tuxman:
Now these NAS adapters need to be attached to my router anyway... so we're back on USB 1.1 then, right?

4wd:
Now these NAS adapters need to be attached to my router anyway... so we're back on USB 1.1 then, right?-Tuxman (January 14, 2010, 05:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

The adapter plugs into the 100Mbps network and your USB2.0 HDD plugs into it - so let's be generous and say you'll get around 8MB/s read/write to the drive.

USB1.1 is 12Mbps, so you'll get approx. 7 times USB1.1 data rate, (after overheads).

Tuxman:
With my current USB port (on the router), I reach about 300 KB/s.  ;D
(Via WLAN.)

OK, I presume that my router supports 100 Mbit LAN  :D ... sounds fair then. Thank you.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version