ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need NAS Enclosure recommendation

<< < (4/9) > >>

Josh:
I am liking that idea 4wd. I might just start asking for tips in configuring my machine :)

Thanks for the tips!

40hz:
Be sure to tally up the power requirements of each component in your build. Then do the math to get a correctly sized PS. -40hz (June 28, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or let someone else do the math: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Why burn out your braincells ?   :P

Using the combo above plus 4 Green SATA HDDs gives a system power figure of 68W, (which I'd say is pretty close), and it will be less because there will be no keyboard/mouse connected normally.
So a 150W PSU is ample and will actually not be running at peak efficiency since it's well under %80 load all the time.
-4wd (June 28, 2009, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

So there you have it Josh. More capacity, more power, better component quality - and best of all - it's done your way! What's not to like about that?

:Thmbsup:

4wd:
I am liking that idea 4wd. I might just start asking for tips in configuring my machine :)
-Josh (June 28, 2009, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you need Gigabit networking then you'll need to install a Gigabit card since the onboard LAN is only 10/100 - you then lose your SATA 4 port card.

An alternative if you need the GigaBit is to use a Addonics SATA port multiplier.  The 5x1 Internal will still give you a total of 6 SATA ports, albeit at a cost of $75.  You might want to email them first and check motherboard SATA controller compatibility with it first.  Although, IIRC, provision for port multipliers is part of the SATA-II specification.

You can always add wireless through the use of a supported USB adapter.

Or, if you don't need Gigabit, use the port multiplier then you have a free PCI slot for a $23 WiFi/BT card so you can use your Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard, (which you already use for your uber-HTPC), to control it :P

I just love spending money when it's not mine  :D

Actually, to keep it a little neater, grab a IDE-to-CF adapter and 2GB CompactFlash card and use the IDE port on the motherboard instead of a 2GB flash drive for the OS.  It will keep everything internal then.

EDIT: Scratch the port multiplier idea, the ICH7 Southbridge doesn't support them.  Only ICH9 and above.

4wd:
Just a followup to this, for building your own NAS you might want to check out SmallNetBuilder.

Especially their forums where you can be pretty sure someone has already tried to build a NAS using hardware similar to what you want to or might use.

And a range of How To articles like this one for an Atom based NAS.

superboyac:
This is a great thread.  I'm going to do the same thing.  I want to build a NAS or server box that I can put at my sister's house as an off-site backup for all my stuff.  Because even though i backup with multiple redundancy, it's all in one location, and in the rare case of theft or something, someone can easily take all my computer equipment and I'd be devastated.

So, great thread!  40hz, once again...always a few steps ahead of me!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version