ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's Fork The Thread! Linux Notetaking Thread!

<< < (6/12) > >>

urlwolf:
my guess is that a linux FF plugin would not know how to talk to he wine-emulated app.

urlwolf:
ok, I posted this plea to ubuntuforums too, but nobody answered.
Looks like we are on our own.
Still, a donation of say 30$ (typical license price) x 3 is a litle bit of money for an OSS author. It would a smile in her face, even if small.

Should we agree on a project and go ahead?

tinjaw:
I'm not volunteering my time, but merely a suggestion. Start with a wiki to describe what you want and let everybody contribute.

coolrat:
HI
I've been using TreeDBNotes 3.xx running in WINE on my Debian Linux system for about 2 years.
I switched almost exclusively to Linux 2 years ago-- the only thing holding me back was OneNote- a great application.

I tested a number of applications and found that TreeDBNotes run well in Linux, Windows and was portable.
I've asked the developer many times to keep WINE compatibility in mind when issuing new versions.  It seems that other people have asked too and now he is testing his application in Linux now to improve its function in WINE (there are the occasional problem with formatting, and fonts and other small issues).  Apparently the developer is also developing a web clipping plugin.

I"ve been very impressed by TreeDBNotes and thought that others who want a good note program for Linux might want to try it out.

I'm also intrigued by NoteCase Pro, but so far, it i a bit too simple and doesn't have the functions I want.

For me, the software must be a robust database with advanced search features, able to preserve all formatting of WORD and especially OpenOffice documents, be able to copy and paste from Firefox with formatting intact, accept double-byte characters for Asian fonts

I will try MindRaider tonight as it does look promising.

How do KeepNotes and Notecase Pro compare?  Does anyone have experience with these 2 programs? 

coolrat:
ok, I posted this plea to ubuntuforums too, but nobody answered.
Looks like we are on our own.
Still, a donation of say 30$ (typical license price) x 3 is a litle bit of money for an OSS author. It would a smile in her face, even if small.

Should we agree on a project and go ahead?
-urlwolf (August 19, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is a very good idea!  If a number of us bought many licenses together, it might be a big boost for a developer.  I'd be happy to buy several licenses!

I'm not sure which software and developer might be the best candidate to approach.
I'd guess priority should be given to supporting something that's open source and multi-platform:
- Research Assistant
- MindRaider
- KeepNotes
- NoteCase Pro (the 'Pro' version is not open source it seems)

The above all seem to be multi-platform.
If they dont' work, then these windows programs might be adapted to work better in WINE.  The developers indicated that they might work on better Linux compatibility if there was enough interest.
- TreeDBnotes
- RightNote

And a great application:
MyBase.    The trick would be to convince the developer to make a Linux version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version