ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

fully free software utilities for biz use - discussion

<< < (6/21) > >>

40hz:
For a small footprint & completely portable file search check out X-Find from Xteq.-Stoic Joker (June 19, 2009, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Writes settings to the registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xteq Systems\X-Find\1.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xteq Systems\X-Find

-PhilB66 (June 19, 2009, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which makes your point what exactly?
-Stoic Joker (June 19, 2009, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

He may mean if it writes to the registry then it is not a completely portable application cause it leaves its footprints behind in the registry.
-hamradio (June 19, 2009, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

No problem. Download a copy of CleanAfterMe from Nirsoft and run it when you're done. This utility is a "must have" if you run portable apps on anybody's machine other than your own.

You don't want to be somebody who "left their watch on the nightstand," as the saying goes. ;D 8)

Link: www.nirsoft.net/utils/clean_after_me.html

CleanAfterMe allows you to easily clean files and Registry entries that are automatically created by the Windows operating system during your regular computer work.

With CleanAfterMe, you can clean the cookies/history/cache/passwords of Internet Explorer, the 'Recent' folder, the Registry entries that record the last opened files, the temporary folder of Windows, the event logs, the Recycle Bin, and more.

CleanAfterMe is a portable application. This means that you can run it without any installation and without leaving any trace in the Registry.
You can also run this program from a USB flash drive: In order to do that, simply copy the executable file of CleanAfterMe (CleanAfterMe.exe) into the USB flash drive, and run it from there.
--- End quote ---

Check out some of the other Nirsoft utilities while you're over there. They have something for everyone - and each is a gem!  :Thmbsup::Thmbsup:

<Edit: @Steve - Let's add Nirsoft's utilities to the list. ( www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html ) Sorry, I missed seeing your update on post 1. :-[ >

mouser:
Though we don't make too big a deal about it, the official DonationCoder policy about commercial business uses is described here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Help/entry/23/

It basically says:
"Our software is free/donationware for personal use.  If you are running your own small home business, we consider that the same thing (as fellow voyagers in the world of small home businesses we know how hard it can be).

But if you are running a real business with more than one or two non-family employees, we do expect you to purchase a Site/Business License for the program you will be using.

Note: If you are simply an individual using the program at work, it doesn't matter if you are a member of a large business -- you do not need a formal commercial license (unless the program specifically says a commercial license is required for all profit making use).  Commercial Licenses are normally intended for the situation where many people at your business all use the program."
--- End quote ---

In other words, if you are a larger company that wants to install the software on many pcs, you should get a commercial license.  Otherwise, no worries.

40hz:
Re: JKDefrag

Excellent and reliable product. But it needs a new hairdo and better clothes.

Enter JKDefragGUI. ( www.emro.nl/freeware/ )

JkDefragGUI is an Graphical User Interface which allows you to easily select all the features JkDefrag, a freeware defragmentation tool made by Jeroen Kessels has to offer.

But is can do a lot more.

JkDefragGUI can schedule a defragmentation, install JkDefrag or it's screensaver but can also do some small maintenance to you computer. It can be used to schedule a defragmentation of your systemfiles like pagefile and registry files. JkDefragGUI also supports CCleaner which can be used instead of the internal cleaning function.

JkDefragGUI was created for people who don't have the skills of an advanced user but still want to use the powerful features JkDefrag has to offer or for those people who like a GUI instead of a the command line.

Further JkDefragGUI is compatible with U3 memory pens and with BartPE pre-installed environment.

--- End quote ---

PhilB66:
Thanks hamradio and 40hz for explaining my point...  :)

40hz:
In other words, if you are a larger company that wants to install the software on many pcs, you should get a commercial license.  Otherwise, no worries.
-mouser (June 19, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Mouser!

Here's something I've been meaning to ask, and maybe now is a good time to do it.

What about situations where you have someone like me who provides site support for a number of small to medium-sized clients. Many of these clients aren't too gung-ho on getting involved with licensing plans and variable pricing points. But all of them are quite comfortable buying individual copies of a product as needed.

I have arrangements with the authors of certain products whereby I can invoice my clients for a specific number of copies. Once I get paid by my client, I forward their remittance to the author (via credit card or PayPal), and receive PDF licenses and/or activation keys back by e-mail.

After I have the licenses and/or keys in hand, I can then go ahead and install the product on my client's machines.

This arrangement works best for all parties IMHO because it works just like a boxed SKU code product - except there's no box or SKU code.

Pros:

* My organization knows exactly how much each license will cost (before we include it in quotes or proposals) without needing to wait for the software publisher to get back to us with their own quote.
* Our client knows exactly how much it's going to cost before they're asked to commit.

* The software author(s) are guaranteed to get paid
* The client has a reliable record of the number of copies they have licensed
* It's fast. No waiting around a week for the Fedex guy to show up with a stack of boxes. Hand us a check and we can be installing the software (in most cases) within minutes. Talk about instant gratification! :up: :up: -and-
* There's no risk of pirated copies being installed because no media is ever given to (or left with) the client (This no-media provision is agreed to by the client up front. If they don't agree, we request they purchase directly from the publisher.) Note: as part of this no-media provision, my company agrees to handle product registrations, and provide product reinstallation, should it ever become necessary (i.e. drive crashes, machine replacements, etc.)

Cons:

None I can think of.

So...have you ever considered setting up a DonationCoder software store?

Just a thought! :) :Thmbsup:

---

P.S. Maybe this should be moved to a separate topic if you think it's worth discussing or brainstorming over?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version