ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PDF viewers which don't lock the file

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nod5:
I don't know any such pdf viewer.

A temporary solution might be a script that monitors the edit program for filesaves. Each time you save the edited file the script automatically makes a copy of the file and opens the copy in the pdf viewer.

40hz:
Why not just:

* copy the text in your PDF to a Word doc file
* do whatever edits you want to that - and then
* "print" it back out as a PDF file
That way, you'll have an easily editable document that you can use to generate an updated PDF from anytime you like.

(You also won't need to worry about 'closing' your edited file if you do it this way.)

Word 2007 and Open Office can already output a PDF file. If your wordprocessor can't do it directly, just download one of the free PDF virtual printer apps like BullZip or PrimoPDF and use that to create your PDF output. Primo and BullZip also have an option to automatically open any PDF they generate in your default viewer so you won't need to open anything to check it once it's ready.

alexey_r:
For writing math papers Word is about the worst software known to man. It is a lot harder to edit Word files containing any math than nice LaTeX.

40hz:
For writing math papers Word is about the worst software known to man. It is a lot harder to edit Word files containing any math than nice LaTeX.
-alexey_r (June 17, 2009, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Won't argue with you about that.  ;D (I love LaTeX BTW. :-* )

Ok. Good point. Then why not use something like LyX ( www.lyx.org/Features ) to compose and edit? It can import and export to to just about anything including PDF.

LyX combines the power and flexibility of TeX/LaTeX with the ease of use of a graphical interface. This results in world-class support for creation of mathematical content (via a fully integrated equation editor) and structured documents like academic articles, theses, and books. In addition, staples of scientific authoring such as reference list and index creation come standard.
--- End quote ---

:)

alexey_r:
I prefer editing straight LaTeX, but I'll check it out. Is there an equivalent of the listings LaTeX package (or a way to access it), do you know?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version