ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for application to determine what folders are using up the most space

<< < (5/7) > >>

fenixproductions:
2Veign
You can delete all but the last restore point. Open Windows Explorer and right click the C: drive. Select Properties, Disk Cleanup. Once the scanning process is complete, you'll get a new dialog. Go to More Options. You can remove all but the last restore point there. Otherwise, its all or nothing.
I am not sure should it be done for all partitions but there are also options to reduce the size occupied by restore points:
My Computer -> Properties -> System restore tab -> Available discs -> Settings

By default 12% of each partition can be taken.

2mouser
I always leave 1 restore point because it is additional protection from something bad but I've never been in need to use it :)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

f0dder:
I also always turn off system restore -- as far as im concerned turning it off has two benefits: one is i save space, the other is it keeps me from ever losing my mind and trying to do a restore using this method, which im convinced is nothing but trouble.-mouser (June 17, 2009, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I turn it off on my own setups, but it's been a useful help on other people's computers a few times.

wraith808:
I also always turn off system restore -- as far as im concerned turning it off has two benefits: one is i save space, the other is it keeps me from ever losing my mind and trying to do a restore using this method, which im convinced is nothing but trouble.-mouser (June 17, 2009, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I turn it off on my own setups, but it's been a useful help on other people's computers a few times.
-f0dder (June 17, 2009, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
I keep it... it's saved me more than once.  I do change the amount of checkpoints it keeps to save space; if I can't reach a checkpoint within the last couple of weeks, I doubt it's going to do me any good.

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

My understanding is that System Restore does not always play nice with low-level programs, including image save-restores.  Also it triggers false positive anti-virus stuff.  So to me the only issue is whether to get rid of it completely or leave it at minimum size.  

Thus gives us more reasons to avoid its use on a well-kept and well-backed-up puter.  However it does seem to help some of the people some of the time.

Thanks .. I did not know the recycle bin was customizable (makes sense).  Presumably a smaller size handles itself well and simply writes over older stuff if you get too full.  This can be helpful on a tight disk, and I wonder how image programs handle this, well you should probably empty before an image (not that I am an image fan anyway).

Shalom,
Steven Avery

f0dder:
Also it triggers false positive anti-virus stuff.-Steven Avery (June 17, 2009, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
How?

The only problem I've heard of has been when people have been infected, and infected files got stored in a system restore point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version